On December 10, 1920, Major Joseph P Nourse, who had been actively engaged in educational work in the city for many years, became the first principal of Galileo High School. Throughout the summer of 1921, carpenters were busy converting the Red Cross Building, located on Fulton Street near the Civic Center. On August 1, 1921, Galileo High School welcomed its student body into the remodeled facilities. The ceremony of “breaking ground” for the new building occurred on November 4, 1921. Dedication of the Van Ness Building took place on March 30, 1924. At the same time, plans were underway for a new wing which would double the capacity of the school.
Back in the 1920′s, the Galileo High School building was considered an outstanding example of modern architecture. Planned with the idea of housing one of the best educational institutions in the country, it was equipped to offer the most rigorous academic curriculum in addition to training in commercial and technical branches.
Starting in the school year 1995-96, Galileo has transformed itself to the Galileo Academy of Science and Technology. The new program provides students with career pathways in biotechnology, environmental science, health, hospitality and tourism, computer science, and creative media technology.
For more information, please visit this website: