2/8/2012 Meeting Minutes
SAN FRANCISCO UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
Galileo Academy of Science and Technology
1150 Francisco Street, San Francisco, CA 94109
Room 210 at 3:30 P.M.
Location and Time of Meeting
School Site Council Meeting-February 8, 2012
X Agenda Attached
X Attendance/sign-in attached
Present: Marcus Blacksher, Doug Page, Jonathan Ring, Woodraw Smith, Patrick Delaney, Mele Lau-Smith, Claire Siegel, Nicole Torres, Jacky Chau, Karin Lau, Tony Payne
Absent (Excused): Stan DeBella, Clarissa Lee, Anna Mai
X Minutes of the previous meeting approved
Decision Made/Issues Reviewed
I. Call to Order
– M. Lau-Smith called the meeting to order at 3:44 pm. There were nine elected members present; a quorum was established.
II. Approval of 1/11/2012 Meeting Minutes
– M. Blacksher moved to approve the 1/11/2012 minutes as presented. J. Ring seconded and the motion was carried unanimously.
III. New Business
1. BSC Working Group Updates
– M. Lau-Smith went over her notes from the BSCWG meeting on January 25, 2012. The attendees were as follows: M. Blacksher, T. Payne, J. Chau, D. Page, J. Ring, C. Siegel, M. Lau-Smith, P. Delaney.
– The SSC members that were at the BSCWG meeting felt that the meeting wasn’t too long and that it was productive.
– The members decided to have the next BSCWG meeting on Thursday, February 16, which should give the admin ample time to gather data from different sources. T. Payne will have the student survey results aggregated by then. G. Tom also reminded the admin that the feedback gathered at the January PTSA meeting could be incorporated.
– M. Blacksher held a discussion about the school priorities at the last leadership team meeting. The team thought that there were too many priorities for the school to work on in such a short time. They requested that the list be narrowed down to manageable three or four priorities.
– The science department felt that the list of priorities was too broad. The department teachers didn’t understand why they were asked to discuss it and if they did talk about it, how would their input be used. W. Smith invited T. Payne to come to one of their meetings, so he could provide guidance on the exercise and answer questions.
– The math department had a different take. Their main concern was that they would rather use measuring tools that the school had a lot of input instead of using something that was regulated by the district.
– One of the priorities is for the class of 2014 and thereafter to fulfill the A-G requirements when they graduate. The site council worried how the EL students would be able to accomplish this stipulation. One member suggested using the current 9th and 10th grades as the baseline to see how on track these students are in meeting it. T. Payne shared that 60% met the A-G requirements and there was 14% difference between male and female students.
– M. Lau-Smith emphasized that the school should use positive data such as number of students have joined clubs, have done sports, have participated in elections, to enhance the school climate rather than using negative ones like suspension rate.
– Someone questioned how these priorities meshed with the WASC recommendations. M. Lau-Smith said she would need to review the WASC report to see how the two could be tied together.
2. March Meeting Date
– At a previous meeting, some SSC members felt that the March meeting might need to be pushed back a week in order to give people extra time to gather input and data. But that was no longer necessary, so the March meeting will be on the 14th as planned.
3. SSC Summit
– Annually, the District sponsors the SSC School Planning Summit on a Saturday to:
1. Share information about Balanced Scorecard/Single Plan for Student Achievement and school site funding allocations; and 2. Provide members of our school communities with information to assess current program, identify strategies for improvement, align fiscal resources, engage partners, and chart course of actions.
– This year the event will be held on Saturday, February 12 from 8:30 am to 12:30 pm at Everett Middle School. The following members have agreed to attend: M. Blacksher, Mele Lau-Smith, T. Payne, J. Ring, C. Siegel.
IV. Old Business
– There were no agenda items under Old Business.
W. Smith moved to adjourn the meeting. M. Blacksher seconded and the meeting was adjourned at 4:22 pm.
Minutes taken and prepared by Karin Lau