Weekly Bulletin – December 3 – 7, 2012

GALILEO ACADEMY
Weekly Bulletin
DECEMBER 3-7, 2012

JUXTAPOSE

FACULTY/STAFF

WORD OF THE WEEK:    All Teachers please put this word on your blackboard or other prominent place. : JUXTAPOSE: To place side by side; unexpected combinations of colors, shapes and ideas.

NEW ITEMS:

STAFF WELLNESS WORDS: Try doing something creative for five minutes everyday. Draw a quick  picture with colored pencils just for fun or write a short poem. Even  the smallest burst of creativity may inspire you. (Adapted from The Harvard University Center for Wellness)

REFERENCE ITEMS

ANNOUNCEMENT FORMS: We are now using Google Forms to collect announcement requests. The form is linked from the Teachers page at galileoweb.org. Check it out.

**BULLETIN NOTICES:**EMAIL ADDRESS FOR BULLETIN NOTICES:  Please email bulletin notices to: grinnellb@galileoweb.org. The deadline for submitting items for the bulletin is Friday morning by 8:30am.                 Mrs. Grinnell

SUBSTITUTE SYSTEM:  The Substitute System’s phone number:  345-0064.  The old phone number, 241-6641, is no longer operational.  The on-line system remains the same.  If you have any questions please let me know.

SOCIAL COMMITTEE CONTRIBUTION:  Just a reminder–if you haven’t already given your social committee contribution, it’s not too late.  See Bettie Grinnell in the Main Office with your $20–checks or cash welcome!                  Social Committee

HOT COFFEE is available every morning for $.75 a cup and fresh baked COOKIES are available for $.25 each in room 212 or 214. Thank you for helping support the special education programs.             Ms. Wlodaver and Ms. McDonagh

PARKING COURTESY:  Please do not block other cars in both the Bay Street and the Polk Street parking lots.  If you have to block a car, do it only for a few minutes and leave your Galileo Parking Hanger in plain sight in your car.  If you do not have a Galileo Parking Hanger, see Bettie Grinnell in the Main Office.                                       Mrs. Grinnell

GALILEO PTSA EDUCATION AND ENRICHMENT GRANT APPLICATIONS: The Galileo PTSA is accepting Grant Applications from teachers and staff in need of funding for projects, equipment and/or suppliegalileoweb.org/ptsa. Grant applications may be turned in to the PTSA mailbox in the main office. If you have questions email the Grants’ Chair Claire Siegel at cesiegel@pacbell.net or call her at 415.350.5697.

G-HOUSE TV AND INTERCOM ANNOUNCEMENTS: Teachers: Please be cognizant of allowing students to listen to morning and homeroom announcements. Many are important for students to get info on sports, events, activities, or educational opportunities. Some teachers are hanging the phones  up or not turning the t.v. on for G-House. These actions deprive the students of notifications and they miss out. Thank you.                 Don Papa

STUDENTS

SENIORS! Please go to Ms. Ho’s office to check whether or not your name is correctly spelled or if you want to add/delete your middle name. The name listed is what will be printed on your diploma. If you don’t check, it will be printed as is! You have until December 21st to get this done!

ASB STORE in Room 150 is selling healthy snacks, beverages, sweatshirts, lanyards, bookcovers, pens, pennants, mugs, and other spirit items during lunch time and after school. Money helps to pay for our school activities.

ASB STOREis selling ASB card stickers @ $5.00. Discounts are given for dances, sweatshirts, yearbook, and other spirit items.

WINTER ASSEMBLY RAFFLE: At the Winter Assembly on Friday, Dec. 21, ASB will distribute free raffle tickets to all students. You must be present in the auditorium to win the raffle prize. Here are the prizes:

1st Prize – San Francisco Giants signed baseball and photo. The
signature is authentic, and we want to keep it as a big mystery.
2nd Prize – Galileo Letterman Jacket with leather sleeves
3rd Prize – Free Tuxedo Rental from Men’s Wearhouse that you can use
for the prom or boat dance.
4th Prize – Two Galileo Boat Dance Tickets
5th Prize – Galileo sweatshirt with printed letters

COLLEGE APPLICATION ASSISTANCE WORKSHOPS: Location: Room 104, AFTER-SCHOOL until 6 PM
Come get support on your UC, CSU, Common App, and Community College
(CC) applications! First come, first serve!
You may work on ANY of your applications at anytime!  On certain days,
we’ll have a college visit us as well at the workshop!
Before you come to the workshop, do: (1) Start your application and
ask me question at the workshop
(2) Bring copy of transcript. (3) For UC/Private, fill out my
appraisal form, download here: galileoweb.org/college/letter

STILL LOOKING FOR A JOB? Enterprise for High School Students is offering a 14-week job training program that can lead to a paid internship at Gap and Old Navy stores in San Francisco. Stop by the Wellness Center, Room 151, for more information!

“The Galileo Ping Pong Club is back!
We will meet every Wednesday, at lunch, in Room 350. A table and two rackets are available but you are welcome to bring your own racket. All levels of player are welcome!  First meeting: Wednesday, October 24, Lunch, Room 350.  See you there!”

BASEBALL PRACTICE: every Monday on football field at 3:15. Coach Papa

Fall 2012 Final Exam Schedule Revised/Opening Spring 2012 Semester

GALILEO ACADEMY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY

FINAL EXAM SCHEDULE

FALL SEMESTER 2012

December 17 – 21, 2012

REVISED

Monday, December 17, 2012

            1°                     8:00 am          –           10:15 am

Homeroom                  10:20 am         –           11:0 am

            2°                       11:05 am         –             1:20 pm

Tuesday, December 18, 2012                 

             4°                      8:00 am          –           10:15 am

Homeroom                  10:20 am         –           11:00 am

             6°                     11:05 am         –             1:20 pm

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

             3°                     8::00am          –           10:15 am

Homeroom                  10:20am          –           11:00 am

            5°                     11:05 am         –             1:20 pm

Thursday, December 20, 2012                                

(Make-up Final Exams)                                             

            1°                     8:00 am          –           8:50 am

Homeroom                  8:55am           –           9:10am

           2°                      9:15am           –           10:05 am

           3°                    10:10 am         –            11:00 am

Lunch                         11:00am          –            11:40am

          4°                     11:45 am         –            12:35 pm

          5°                     12:40 am        –              1:30 pm

          6°                         1:35pm           –             2:10pm

 

Friday, December 21, 2012

Galileo Academy Assembly 2012-13

1°                                       8:00am             –          8:45am

2°                                       8:50am              –          9:35am

3°                                       9:40am              –         10:25am

Assembly A or 4°        10:30am            –          11:25am

Assembly B or 4°         11:30am            –          12:25pm

Lunch                              12:25pm            –             1:05pm

5°                                       1:10pm               –             2:05pm

6°                                       2:10pm              –              3:05pm

 

OPENING DAY OF SPRING 2013 SEMESTER

Monday 1/7/13

Homeroom      8:00am –  8:30am

1°                     8:35 am-  9:30am

2°                   9:35 am- 10:30am

3°                    10:35am – 11:30am

Lunch              11:30am – 12:10pm

4°                     12:15pm –  1:10pm

                     1:15pm –    2:10pm

                      2:15pm  –  3:05pm

 

LEADERSHIP TEAM/DEPARTMENT HEADS MEETING – November 29, 2012

GALILEO ACADEMY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY

Leadership Team/Department Heads Meeting

 

11/29/12

 

 

Marcus called the meeting to order at 10:10am.

 

Marcus told everyone that Nancy had a death in the family and will be away until Monday.  She will get the registration sheets out to the department heads next Monday.  They will be due prior to Winter Break.

 

Ms. Field and AoHT would like to have a festival in the courtyard on December 14th to raise money.  They will be selling items and having food delivered.  Ethan asked about back up in case of rain.  Marcus suggested the 2nd floor hallway.  There will be 7-10 tables.  This is a project for the students.  They will come up with the products.

 

Leadership Team

 

I.          Final Exam Schedule

–Marcus distributed a new final exam schedule.  He explained that we were called on the carpet by the district for not having enough instructional minutes.  We will have a homeroom for 40 minutes—we will call this a “Nutritional Homeroom.”  The final exams will be 2 hours and 15 minutes.

–Ray asked about the Special Ed busses on 3 days.  We will have them but we have to pay for them.

–We will talk about next year’s bell schedule at the next meeting.

 

II.         Class Observations

–Marcus asked for Lisa if the teachers would be willing to have Lisa and Bissa come and observe the classes. Joseph, Doug, Kathleen, Stan, Ethan, Michelle, Mat, Leah said Yes.  Ray said No.  Mat asked if they would be notified in advance.

 

III.       Substance Abuse Assembly Schedule

–Jessica distributed a proposed schedule for that day, March 21, 2013.

–The left column shows a normal Thursday schedule.

–This schedule would eliminate Homeroom and there would be 15 minutes less in the class times.

–Jessica explained the logistics of the assembly, the discussion after the assembly and there will be time for the regular class, which will be 15 minutes shorter than the normal block period.

–Allison said there has been an increase in marijuana use this year so this assembly will be very beneficial.

–The schedule was approved by the group.

 

IV.        Academic Integrity

–Allison asked if there is a school wide policy concerning cheating.  She said she and Mr. Emmi are noticing periods of time during the year when cheating is prevalent.

–They ask the teacher for their policy and if the students know it.  They talk to the student and then have the student write a letter of apology, and a paragraph about academic integrity. Then they set up a conference with the parent, the student, the teacher, the counselor and the Dean.

 

–David said we had discussed the need for a bare minimum of what will happen if a student cheats.  All students need to know this.

–Allison asked if we need more than this and David said we definitely do need more.  He would like a teacher component added—like the student should fail that assignment.

–Michelle asked if the school wide policy is in addition to each teacher’s individual policy.  The levels of plagiarism in the school vary.

–Allison felt the Deans’ Office would put out a policy, including a 0 on an assignment where the student cheated.

–Doug said that some students may not be clear on all forms of academic dishonesty.

–Doug also said that cheating does not necessarily happen in front of the teacher the work is for, but in front of another teacher.  Katie indicted a school wide policy would cover this.  Joseph mentioned a part of Balboa’s policy—someone who gives someone else homework to copy is just as guilty.

 

–Michelle asked for the insertion of sources students use for their outside papers.

 

–Kathleen felt that there should be some education to the students about cheating.  She mentioned that students cheat on the CAHSEE exam.

–Michelle said her department is having more in class writing exams due to the Internet.  They also get an initial sampling of student writing at the beginning of the year to have a benchmark for each student.

 

–Michelle asked about repeat offenses.  David said that Lincoln does a really nice job in this area.  Allison said they have not had a lot of repeat offenders.  She said that the students break down and cry within 7 minutes, and they have not had repeat offenders who were caught in the last year.

 

–David suggested using Lincoln’s policy.  He would like to go through it and see if there were some things he did not agree with.

 

–Lauren mentioned situations that are dealt with by the teacher and don’t have to go to the Dean’s Office.  Teachers should keep track of the offenses.  Katie suggested putting this information into the online referral system.

 

–Allison said they have only received 1 written referral this year—all the rest have been online.  David said that once teachers write a referral they can access referrals from other teachers.

–Allison would like to see “Deans’ Office Referral Written and Entered into Permanent Record.”  This will be of value to those students who are anxious to go to college.

–Katie would like to have the group take this to their departments and then review with the students, particularly with finals coming up.

–Kathleen suggested using SSR time to address academic honesty, perhaps with a power point presentation.

–Michelle discussed doing this as teachers give reviews for their finals.

–David suggested having students sign an agreement.

–Marcus asked how we could get this back from the students who have to get their parent’s signature

–Lauren suggested students sign in class and return that to the teacher.

–Katie felt that the signature does not mean much for the kids.  She felt that if the form was distributed in Homeroom, on G-House TV, and discussed in every class that would be enough.

–David felt that the parents need to know this information.  Katie said this is in the handbook, and that the school can suspend.

–It can also be published on School Loop.

–Let Allison know by tomorrow if you have suggestions, etc.

–Doug asked about transitional students and how we handle them. Discussion followed concerning the advantages and disadvantages of identifying these students to all teachers.

–Katie said that Wellness and Counseling work with the EWI students.  EWI—Early Warning Indicator—based on attendance and GPA.  This comes from Data Director.  Transitional Student information is more comprehensive.

–Jessica said the EWI list should be shared with students.  She also suggested sending both list and saying the students on the list are either EWI or transitional, but not identify who is on what list.

–David said he would like to know if students he refers are placed on the lists.  Katie said Donald shares his caseload with the staff.

 

V.  Update on Slow School Zone Signs

–Katie called 311 twice and now she put Kelli Mallen on it.  Kelli is going to the Supervisor.

 

VI.        Miscellaneous

–David asked about CPT. Marcus said it is on the UBC agenda today.

 

Meeting adjourned at 11:05am.

 

Weekly Bulletin – November 26 – 30, 2012

GALILEO ACADEMY
Weekly Bulletin
NOVEMBER 26-30, 2012

INCOHERENT

FACULTY/STAFF

WORD OF THE WEEK:    All Teachers please put this word on your blackboard or other prominent place. : INCOHERENT: Lacking orderly continuity, arrangement or relevance; loose; incosistent.

NEW ITEMS:

STAFF WELLNESS WORDS: “A child is not a vessel to be filled, but a lamp to be lit.”    Hebrew Proverb

REFERENCE ITEMS

ANNOUNCEMENT FORMS: We are now using Google Forms to collect announcement requests. The form is linked from the Teachers page at galileoweb.org. Check it out.

**BULLETIN NOTICES:**EMAIL ADDRESS FOR BULLETIN NOTICES:  Please email bulletin notices to: grinnellb@galileoweb.org. The deadline for submitting items for the bulletin is Friday morning by 8:30am.                 Mrs. Grinnell

SUBSTITUTE SYSTEM:  The Substitute System’s phone number:  345-0064.  The old phone number, 241-6641, is no longer operational.  The on-line system remains the same.  If you have any questions please let me know.

SOCIAL COMMITTEE CONTRIBUTION:  Just a reminder–if you haven’t already given your social committee contribution, it’s not too late.  See Bettie Grinnell in the Main Office with your $20–checks or cash welcome!                  Social Committee

HOT COFFEE is available every morning for $.75 a cup and fresh baked COOKIES are available for $.25 each in room 212 or 214. Thank you for helping support the special education programs.             Ms. Wlodaver and Ms. McDonagh

PARKING COURTESY:  Please do not block other cars in both the Bay Street and the Polk Street parking lots.  If you have to block a car, do it only for a few minutes and leave your Galileo Parking Hanger in plain sight in your car.  If you do not have a Galileo Parking Hanger, see Bettie Grinnell in the Main Office.                                       Mrs. Grinnell

GALILEO PTSA EDUCATION AND ENRICHMENT GRANT APPLICATIONS: The Galileo PTSA is accepting Grant Applications from teachers and staff in need of funding for projects, equipment and/or supplies.  For further information please visit galileoweb.org/ptsa. Grant applications may be turned in to the PTSA mailbox in the main office. If you have questions email the Grants’ Chair Claire Siegel at cesiegel@pacbell.net or call her at 415.350.5697.

G-HOUSE TV AND INTERCOM ANNOUNCEMENTS: Teachers: Please be cognizant of allowing students to listen to morning and homeroom announcements. Many are important for students to get info on sports, events, activities, or educational opportunities. Some teachers are hanging the phones  up or not turning the t.v. on for G-House. These actions deprive the students of notifications and they miss out. Thank you.                 Don Papa

STUDENTS

ASB STORE in Room 150 is selling healthy snacks, beverages, sweatshirts, lanyards, bookcovers, pens, pennants, mugs, and other spirit items during lunch time and after school. Money helps to pay for our school activities.

ASB STOREis selling ASB card stickers @ $5.00. Discounts are given for dances, sweatshirts, yearbook, and other spirit items.

COLLEGE APPLICATION ASSISTANCE WORKSHOPS: Location: Room 104, AFTER-SCHOOL until 6 PM
Come get support on your UC, CSU, Common App, and Community College
(CC) applications! First come, first serve!
You may work on ANY of your applications at anytime!  On certain days,
we’ll have a college visit us as well at the workshop!
Before you come to the workshop, do: (1) Start your application and
ask me question at the workshop
(2) Bring copy of transcript. (3) For UC/Private, fill out my
appraisal form, download here: galileoweb.org/college/letter

UC/CSU DEADLINE: NOV. 30

WORKSHOPS:
Mon, Nov. 26: University of CA, Berkeley
Tues, Nov. 27 UC, CSU, Private App, CC
FINAL Workshop! Thur, Nov. 29 UC, CSU, Private App, CC

WEBSITES:
CSU: CSUMENTOR.EDU
UC: Universityofcalifornia.edu
Private: Commonapp.org
Community College App: CC: cccapply.org  for the National Merit Scholarship.”

Weekly Bulletin
NOVEMBER 13 – 16, 2012

GERMINATE

FACULTY/STAFF

WORD OF THE WEEK:    All Teachers please put this word on your blackboard or other prominent place. GERMINATE: To begin to grow or develop; sprout.

NEW ITEMS:

STAFF WELLNESS TIPS: (From Jeanne Sharbuno “Bite Size Tips for Busy Teachers”)
You take care of your students…by taking care of yourself first.
Use these 3 self-care tips as quick stress-busters to regain your balance throughout the day:
1.  Relax your nervous system with belly breaths. Breath in from your belly for 5 counts, hold for 5 counts, and release slowly for 5 counts. Repeat 5 – 10 times.
2.  Take a 10-minute refreshing walk during lunch to empty your mind and rejuvenate your soul.
3.  Keep silly cartoons or funny quotes at your desk to make you laugh and lighten your mood.

REFERENCE ITEMS

ANNOUNCEMENT FORMS: We are now using Google Forms to collect announcement requests. The form is linked from the Teachers page at galileoweb.org. Check it out.

**BULLETIN NOTICES:**EMAIL ADDRESS FOR BULLETIN NOTICES:  Please email bulletin notices to: grinnellb@galileoweb.org. The deadline for submitting items for the bulletin is Friday morning by 8:30am.                                                                              Mrs. Grinnell

SUBSTITUTE SYSTEM:  The Substitute System’s phone number:  345-0064.  The old phone number, 241-6641, is no longer operational.  The on-line system remains the same.  If you have any questions please let me know.

SOCIAL COMMITTEE CONTRIBUTION:  Just a reminder–if you haven’t already given your social committee contribution, it’s not too late.  See Bettie Grinnell in the Main Office with your $20–checks or cash welcome!                                                                      Social Committee

HOT COFFEE is available every morning for $.75 a cup and fresh baked COOKIES are available for $.25 each in room 212 or 214. Thank you for helping support the special education programs.                                                                                            Ms. Wlodaver and Ms. McDonagh

PARKING COURTESY:  Please do not block other cars in both the Bay Street and the Polk Street parking lots.  If you have to block a car, do it only for a few minutes and leave your Galileo Parking Hanger in plain sight in your car.  If you do not have a Galileo Parking Hanger, see Bettie Grinnell in the Main Office.                                                                                                                                                              Mrs. Grinnell

GALILEO PTSA EDUCATION AND ENRICHMENT GRANT APPLICATIONS: The Galileo PTSA is accepting Grant Applications from teachers and staff in need of funding for projects, equipment and/or supplies.  For further information please visit galileoweb.org/ptsa. Grant applications may be turned in to the PTSA mailbox in the main office. If you have questions email the Grants’ Chair Claire Siegel at cesiegel@pacbell.net or call her at 415.350.5697.

G-HOUSE TV AND INTERCOM ANNOUNCEMENTS: Teachers: Please be cognizant of allowing students to listen to morning and homeroom announcements. Many are important for students to get info on sports, events, activities, or educational opportunities. Some teachers are hanging the phones  up or not turning the t.v. on for G-House. These actions deprive the students of notifications and they miss out. Thank you.                                                                                                                                                                                                        Don Papa

THE WELLNESS PHIRE INTERNSHIP PROGRAM: (Peer Health Insurance Rights Education) is working with a group of Galileo Juniors and Seniors to become certified as peer educators in health insurance, health advocacy and health care reform. We are looking forward to presenting in your classrooms starting in February 2013 to educate Galileo students. If you have questions about health care reform please see J. Colvin who can connect you with our wonderful interns!

STUDENTS

ASB STORE in Room 150 is selling healthy snacks, beverages, sweatshirts, lanyards, bookcovers, pens, pennants, mugs, and other spirit items during lunch time and after school. Money helps to pay for our school activities.

ASB STOREis selling ASB card stickers @ $5.00. Discounts are given for dances, sweatshirts, yearbook, and other spirit items.

COLLEGE APPLICATION ASSISTANCE WORKSHOPS: Location: Room 104, AFTER-SCHOOL until 6 PM
Come get support on your UC, CSU, Common App, and Community College
(CC) applications! First come, first serve! You may work on ANY of your applications at anytime!  On certain days, we’ll have a college visit us as well at the workshop! Before you come to the workshop, do: (1) Start your application and ask me question at the workshop
(2) Bring copy of transcript. (3) For UC/Private, fill out my appraisal form, download here: galileoweb.org/college/letter

UC/CSU DEADLINE: NOV. 30

WORKSHOPS:
Tues, Nov. 13 UC, CSU, Private App, CC
Thu, Nov. 15 UC, CSU, Private App, CC
Mon, Nov. 19 UC, CSU, Private App, CC
Tues, Nov. 20: CSU East Bay
Mon, Nov. 26: University of CA, Berkeley
Tues, Nov. 27 UC, CSU, Private App, CC
FINAL Workshop! Thur, Nov. 29 UC, CSU, Private App, CC

WEBSITES:
CSU: CSUMENTOR.EDU
UC: Universityofcalifornia.edu
Private: Commonapp.org
Community College App: CC: cccapply.org

for the National Merit Scholarship.”

STILL LOOKING FOR A JOB? Enterprise for High School Students is offering a 14-week job training program that can lead to a paid internship at Gap and Old Navy stores in San Francisco. Stop by the Wellness Center, Room 151, for more information!

“The Galileo Ping Pong Club is back!   We will meet every Wednesday, at lunch, in Room 350. A table and two rackets are available but you are welcome to bring your own racket. All levels of player are welcome!  First meeting: Wednesday, October 24, Lunch, Room 350.  See you there!”

COLLEGE GEAR DRESS-UP DAY: is Friday, Nov. 16. Wear your favorite
college sweatshirt or gear.

HARVEST FOOD FESTIVAL: is Friday, Nov. 16 in the courtyard during lunchtime. Various clubs are selling your favorite food and drinks. Money helps to pay for the fun activities at Galileo. Campus will be closed during lunch time that day.

BASEBALL PRACTICE:  every Monday on football field at 3:15. Coach Papa

Leadership Team/Department Heads Meeting Minutes – November 8, 2012

GALILEO ACADEMY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY

Leadership Team/Department Heads Meeting

 

11/8/12

 

 

Marcus called the meeting to order at 10:10am.

 

Leadership Team

 

I.          Final Exam Schedule

–Marcus distributed a proposed schedule.  He mentioned that we never came to a final decision.  The group reviewed the document.

–Thursday and Friday will be half days.  It will be 8am – 1pm including lunch.

–Lisa said that the deans want Thursday and Friday to be totally structured for students.  Marcus said the official line is “Students must be here.”

–Lisa asked how the make-up exams work.  David said the students go where they need to go to make up their exams.

–One problem is students who just show up and walk the halls.

–Stan suggested a video in the auditorium for those with no classes.

 

II.         Winter Assembly Schedule/Date

–Marcus met with ASB last week and they would like to have the assembly on Dec. 14th.  They feel there will be better participation than on Dec. 21st.

–Leah talked about the practice AP tests and the time they take.

–Joseph said we are only talking about 10 minutes of instructional time if the assembly is on Dec. 14th.

–David and Leah mentioned the distractions of the assembly.

–Stan said that those students who are in the assembly put a lot of effort into the show.

–Lisa said it seems too last minute at this time to move the assembly to December 7th.  She also felt moving it at all seems last minute.

–Marcus called for a vote on the 7th, 14, or 21st.  2 voted for the 7th, 2 voted for the 14th.   The assembly will be on December 21st.

 

–Discussion followed on the schedule for December 21st.

–Lisa said Option 2 would allow some class work during 4th period.

–Option 2 will be the schedule for 12/21.

 

III.       BSC Review

–Marcus distributed copies of the Balanced Score Card.  He explained the process of developing it and distributed updated copies of the document.

–Lisa discussed updated data information.  She hoped for individual meetings on this document, for Section 2, Fall Data Review, pages 4-7. Marcus apologized for printing an out dated copy.  He will provide the current copy to everyone in  their mailboxes.

 

—Doug mentioned an article he read in a local newspaper that discussed a technique of testing/not testing Special Ed. students.  We are above board and test our Special Ed. students.

 

IV.        Ordering School Wide Supplies

–Doug asked about school-wide supplies, like Kleenex.  He wanted to know if these had to be ordered by departments.

–Michelle said departments did not have budgets at the beginning of the year.  Do we need to now allocate Kleenex from district budgets?

–Doug also asked about scantrons.  Are these school wide supplies?  Ink comes into the same category. CLA activity also used scantrons.

–Katie said we will always have paper, water and Xerox machines that work.  We have some Kleenex.

–Doug felt that Kleenex falls under general and the school should pay for this.  Katie will add Kleenex to the list.

–David asked where to buy scantrons.  Respondents said check the Warehouse Catalogue.

–David asked about bulbs for LCD projectors.  Katie said we have 200 or so now.

–Ink for printers will be covered by Thong Ly.  Katie will check with him.

 

V.         Paper and Water Usage

–People are hoarding paper and water.  Katie asked for feedback to deal with this and curb the hoarding—to inspire responsible use.

–David asked if there is a way to find out how much usage there are on the machines and if this corresponds with the amount of paper usage.

–Either way we need to show more responsible use of paper.

–Katie would like to promote responsible use of paper and copy machines.

–David suggested a copy machine in-service at the start of next year.

–Kathleen suggested responsible students doing the copying.  Talk continued with the thought of having a para do the copying.  Teachers would have to turn in copy requests 24 hours ahead of time.

–We are 1/3 of the way through the school year and we have used ½ of our paper supply.

–David asked if we have more teachers this year.

–Michelle said she knows that many students are printing out their homework here on campus.  She asked where that paper comes from.

–David asked if we could limit student printing.

–Katie asked everyone to have a conversation with their department about responsible use of paper.

–Marcus said we will look at the notes and return to the next meeting with some hard data.

–Joseph suggested monitoring 307 and machines and paper for one day.

 

VI.        Youth Vote/ Student Surveys

–Katie reminded everyone to turn them in.  Return them to the boxes in her outer office.

 

VII.      Slow School Traffic Signs

–Kathleen talked of hearing all the accidents on Bay Street.  She talked of Denise LeBiavant requesting this for many years.

–Nancy said we have called in past years and nothing has been done.

 

VIII.     School Site Council Membership

–Stan said we have used the SFUSD make-up for membership.  This was 4 classroom teachers and one non-classroom personnel.  He checked the union guidelines and he explained those as more extensive.  All groups must be represented and the UBC rep is one of the teacher members.

–He also checked the State guidelines and they are the same as the union, but do not require the UBC rep to be one of the classroom teachers.

–His proposal is to have 2 teachers, 2 community members, 2 parents, 2 students, 1 para, 1 SEIU worker, 1 non-classroom teacher, 2 classroom teachers including 1 UBC rep. Community members cannot be employed by the district.  Parent members should not be working at the school site.

–Stan wants to put this in front of the SSC, but they do not meet until December and he would like to get this going before then.  He put this before the UBC and they said they would abide by what the Leadership Team votes.

–Each representative group would only vote for their representative.

–Marcus said the Leadership Team is not a decision making group.  We can make a recommendation.  The SSC can vote via email.

–Doug asked where we get the community members.  Lisa said we put feelers out and then get resumes, and then make decisions.

–Membership is for 2 years. It as suggested that perhaps community members do not serve consecutive terms.

 

–Stan talked about the problem of para representatives as they leave earlier than the end of the school day.

–Michelle asked about the possibility of a 3rd student on the SSC who was not an ASB officer.

–Stan said that the rules say that the classroom teachers have to be in the majority.

–Students could be represented by one ASB officer and 1 other student.

–Vote—unanimous to follow the UBC guidelines.

 

Department Head Meeting

 

I.          Master Schedule

–Nancy talked about changing course titles and the affect it would have on School Loop.  No changes will be made until after this grading period.  Next grading period she will communicate with everyone on how to do the changes.

–Joseph asked for the number of changes in names.  Nancy said there are some in Science, some in ELD, College and Career, Math.

 

–Communications will come from Nancy about moving to Synergy.  Counselors will go to classes during the 3rd week of January.

 

II.         Peer Observation Feedback

–Lisa asked the group for feedback.  How did it go, was it useful and meaningful?

–Stan said we have a lot of talent in the building and he liked going and seeing how other teachers do things.

–Michelle said English loves it and it is really beneficial for the new teachers.  She thinks it is a low-key way of guiding new teachers.

–Doug said it was good for his department.  There are a lot of good teachers in the building and it is good to get new ideas.

–David said it is really good for the new teachers.  He felt they should be encouraged to do more of this activity.

–Stan said some teachers do not want to observe other teachers and do not want to be observed unless it is for an evaluation.  He has heard this as a UBC rep.

–Mat said there were a few of his teachers who went across curriculum and they found it helpful.  David said that also happened in his department.

–Joseph said it is fantastic to see what is going on in other classrooms.

 

III.       Instructional Leadership

–Lisa asked how can we move to support instruction more in this school?  How can we structure this in the future?  She said she is not an expert in all subjects.  What are the members’ ideas for supporting instruction in the school?

–Michelle said some of the work done in departments could be modeling how to teach a lesson.  Most of the work includes business, or CFA’s, cluster meetings.  The way CPT is structured now, there is not time for supporting instruction with a teacher sharing the modeling of a lesson.

–Stan said there used to be district wide PD’s by department and members did some instruction and demonstrations.  He felt we could put on our own here at Galileo.

–Joseph mentioned what they did last year—observing other teachers in his department in the Fall and then teaching them a lesson in the spring.

 

IV.        Spring CPT Time

–Lisa distributed the plans for Spring 2013.

–Joseph asked about “The Amazing Race at Galileo.”  Lisa said this comes from an activity she did in graduate school and she discussed trivia questions about Galileo, staff, etc.

–Stan said “The Curricular Planning in Teams” is too vague.

–Lisa would like everyone to take this back to their departments for feedback.

–Stan asked about the April 10 and 11 Common Core State Standards Planning. Lisa said these are coming and will be a reality.

–Lisa explained the Peer Observation Planning.

–Stan would like one of the CPT sessions in the spring to be a Retirement Planning session to present new guidelines.  Lisa asked everyone to bring it up with their departments.

–Please give her feedback by Tuesday 11/13/12.

–She asked everyone to please turn in the sign-in sheets from your meetings.  She is also trying to learn where the student teachers are each period.  She distributed the sign-in sheets.  She also asked if the minutes from all meetings are being taken and turned in.  She has not received any of them.

 

V.         Feedback on CLAs

–Mat said the CLAs was a good learning activity for his department.  He felt they need to devote more meeting time to select questions.  In order for the results to be more meaningful, there needs to be more planning.

 

–Stan said the Chemistry CLAs were mirroring what Mat said.  They had more discussions on the questions, rather than the results.

–Doug said some of his teachers were more serious about the CLAs than others and then how they presented it to the students.  Part of the grade or not part of the grade?  They will work on a cohesive strategy for addressing the CLAs.

–Joseph used assessments they are already giving and did not design a new test.  This was part of the curriculum and grades.  Kathleen said her department did the same.

–Michelle said they are seeing more from the CFAs and this is working for them.

–David said he noticed the scores going up in the afternoons.

–Marcus thanked everyone for going through the process.  This is about teaching and reflecting on what we are doing.  He said the PTSA was asking for this.

–Mat said they felt that some of their questions were not very good.

–Michelle wants to use the same questions to see if there is improvement in the spring.

 

Meeting adjourned at 11:40am.

 

 

1 2