9/18/2013 Meeting Minutes


Galileo Academy of Science and Technology

1150 Francisco Street, San Francisco, CA  94109

Room 210 at 3:30 P.M.

Location and Time of Meeting


School Site Council Meeting-September 18, 2013 meeting minutes

Marcus Blackshur – Principal – SSC member
Bettie Grinnell – Non Classroom – SSC member
Nancy Lambert – Admin – guest
Doug Page – Teacher – out going SSC member
Katie Pringle – Admin – guest
Milagro Escobar – Student – SSC member
Stan DeBella – Teacher – SSC member
Claire Siegel – Parent – outgoing SSC member
Loan Ly – Teacher – Newly elected SSC member
Jackie Peters – Teacher – SSC member
Mele Lau-Smith – Parent – outgoing SSC member

I. Introductions
II. Review and approval of May 14th minutes – no corrections were noted. S. Debella motion to approve. B. Grinell seconded. Motion passes
III. SSC election results:
a. School Personnel: Stan DeBella and Loan Ly were elected as SSC members. Doug Page will no longer serve on the SSC.
b. Parent nominations were solicited at freshman orientation and will be solicited through school loop and PTSA google group. The election will be held on BSN. C.Siegel and MLau-Smith will hold parent orientation on October 15th from 5:30-6:30pm. Interested parents have mentioned that the meeting time is a barrier to being involved. It was noted that a later meeting time is a barrier for students and teachers.
c. K.Pringle agreed to orient student representatives prior to next SSC meeting (October 16th)
IV. SSC Bylaws: It was agreed that the bylaws need to be reviewed and amended as appropriate. JRing sent links to Lowell and Washington’s SSC website pages. Members agreed to read over the current copy of the bylaws, review other high school bylaws and submit any proposed changes to M.Lau-Smith by October 5th. She will send to all SSC members (or upload to the google docs by October 7th) L.Ly agreed to create a google docs folder for SSC members to make edits and suggestions to documents. M.Lau-Smith noted that in order for the SSC to function better than last year, all SSC members need to participate more actively and volunteer to do work in between meetings. In the past, ad hoc committees have been developed to share the work load.
V. Budget discussion: K.Pringle reviewed the final Fall budget. The non personnel operating budget for SY 13-14 is $170,000 compared to $300,000 last year. Some of this is due to a lower enrollment; however the district also deducted $50,000 from the overall budget as a “buffer”. J.Ring also noted that the per pupil spending formula decreased from the Spring to the Fall. There was a discussion as to the lack of information providing by the central district office to explain the decrease to per pupil spending and the seemingly arbitrary “buffer” discussion. UESF members are requesting clarity from the district how the newly hired central staff are helping to lower class size or increase operational budgets. SSC members agreed that a letter should be sent to the district central office asking for explanations for both of these deductions. JRing agreed to do a further analysis of the budget to understand the budget implications. MLau-Smith agreed to draft a letter and send it for review. The goal is to have the letter completed by early next week (week of September 23rd) and signed by all SSC members to be forward to Myong Leigh.

S.DeBella motioned to adjourn the meeting. B.Grinnell seconded the motion. Meeting adjourned.