Leadership Team/Department Heads Meeting Minutes – 11/5/13

GALILEO ACADEMY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY

 

Leadership Team/Department Heads Meeting

 

 

 

11/5/13

 

 

 

Leadership Team Agenda

 

Marcus called the meeting to order at 11:25am.

 

 

I.          Parking Lot

 

–Marcus discussed the issues with the parking lot and how people park.

 

–He asked the group for input.

 

–Stan suggested a security guard be posted on game days to keep folks out.

 

–Marcus said the problem is us blocking each other in.  Stan said he would petition the UBC folks to encourage folks not to block each other.

 

–Lisa suggested other options for parking.

 

–Stan suggested we not give student teachers access to the lot.  Marcus said we would do this in the future.

 

–David suggested taking away parking privileges for student teachers if they abuse the rules.

 

–David suggested parking information for new teachers.

 

–A district worker could not get down the ramp today.

 

–Lisa suggested an all staff email dealing with this issue and giving parking alternatives.

 

–Stan asked if we should get threatening.  Ray suggested a positive plan.

 

–Michelle suggested we encourage faculty to leave home earlier to get on-street parking.

 

 

II.         Grades for Special Ed Students

 

–Ray said there are teachers who will not modify or change grades, even if there is a modification in curriculum.  He talked about the fact that many of his students who are diligent are failing.  He said using the same rubric for all students is not always fair.  He mentioned the difficulties of discussing grades with some of the teachers.

 

–He asked, “What is the big deal about giving a student a C if they are doing the work and trying?”  He mentioned student engagement, and that students are not going to continue to be engaged if they are getting F’s.  He feels the culture is not supporting the students that don’t fit into the regular ed. way of learning.  He said some of the students who are receiving F’s are working really hard.

 

–Ray mentioned the departments where his students are not doing well.

 

–Ray said it is important to make accommodations for special ed. students.

 

 

–Michelle asked if accommodations are mentioned in the IEPs.  Ray said they are, but Michelle said some are not in the IEPs.  She said that teachers read the IEPs and take the information as guidance.

 

–Ray said an accommodation is allowing access to information, information the teacher is delivering.

 

–Modification involves changing the curriculum.

 

–Ray said the IEPs would be better this year—more thorough with what the students need, not just what the parents want.

 

–David mentioned previous talks to the faculty that Ray has done.  You are helping the students build up their confidence and renew their acquaintance with education.

 

 

–Ray said the after school training groups are helping.

 

–Marcus said he hears that some teachers are being too rigid.  That information should come from the spec. ed. teachers to the regular teachers.  Marcus said he liked the participation segment of the grade.  He encouraged everyone to have flexibility.

 

–The case managers need to initiate these conversations.

 

–Alicia said there are a number of students who do not have an IEP, but still do not fit into the general ed. way of assessing.

 

 

III.       Data For Faculty Meeting

 

–Marcus presented the information for the faculty meeting tomorrow.

 

–Galileo Demographics was first. At the meeting members will discuss changes in pairs.

 

–Marcus mentioned some items that would change.

 

–ELA CST covered the last 5 years.  Same slides for Math.

 

–Galileo’s Focus—Attendance, EAP (Early Assessment Program) and Grades

 

–Joseph asked when does the EAP begin.

 

–Attendance questions—EWI, other ethnicities, grade levels, zip code map and economically disadvantaged.

 

EAP Questions is next, followed by grades.

 

–Marcus will talk about the next steps in all 3 areas.

 

 

IV.        Student Schedule Changes for Spring Semester

 

–Mat told of a parent who wants to change her student from AP to regular classes, and wipe out the first semester. Mat said this is not an isolated incident.

 

–Nancy said students have to go through the 7-step process to change classes.

 

–Michelle said when a student transfers, the grade transfers with them.

 

–Alicia said she has students requesting to drop down a level in World Languages.  Some she felt would do better with this change.

 

–Alicia has too many TAs.  She asked when they would switch and Nancy said it would be at the semester.

 

–Nancy said that the administration needs to talk about grade changes at the semester.

 

 

V.         School Dress Code

 

–Kathleen told of an incident in her classroom.  She talked about some of the inappropriate outfits/clothing some of our students are wearing .

 

–Katie said we have a dress code and it can be enforced.  She said the policy is inconsistently enforced.  Mr. Rasul has been working on this.  Katie said if there are teachers who are uncomfortable talking with students about this, send them to Katie or the Deans’ Office.

 

–Katie said that once the word gets out that this will be enforced all day long and it should get better.

 

–Nancy said she can be called in these situations.  She makes students change and then come back to her and show her their new clothes.

 

–Nancy mentioned the boys wearing their pants at their knees.

 

–The faculty must be consistent.

 

–Michelle asked about the sagging pants and it being part of a culture.  Marcus said it is jail culture.

 

–No undergarments should be should be showing.

 

–Alicia asked if students can show their bellies—answer is “no.”  She also asked if male teachers can wear tank top under shirts.  The answer is “No.”

 

–Katie asked members to have this discussion in their department meetings.

 

–Katie said she would go to classrooms to pick up students.

 

–Lisa suggested posting the dress code in each room.

 

–Jo suggested a way to talk to students about this issue.

 

 

Meeting adjourned at 12:10pm.

 

 

Weekly Bulletin – November 4 – 8, 2013

GALILEO ACADEMY

Weekly Bulletin

NOVEMBER 4 – 8, 2013

EMBELLISH

 

FACULTY/STAFF

 

WORD OF THE WEEK:    All Teachers please put this word on your blackboard or other prominent place. EMBELLISH: To make beautiful with ornaments; decorate; to heighten the attractiveness of with ornamentation.

 

Galileo PTSA Education/Enrichment Grants Application Procedures Update:

 

Please submit your applications 3 weeks before the following General PTSA meetings:

Nov. 13, 2013, Jan. 8, 2014, March 12, 2014 and April 9, 2014.  This will give the Grants Committee members time to review and then make recommendations for voting at the above listed General PTSA meetings.  For complete guidelines, please go togalileoweb.org/ptsa/grant-request     Questions can be directed to Jeanne at  Lattjiu@aol.com

                                        

ANNOUNCEMENT FORMS: We are now using Google Forms to collect announcement requests. The form is linked from the Teachers page at galileoweb.org. Check it out.

 

**BULLETIN NOTICES:**EMAIL ADDRESS FOR BULLETIN NOTICES:  Please email bulletin notices to: grinnellb@galileoweb.org. The deadline for submitting items for the bulletin is Friday morning by 8:30am.                 Mrs. Grinnell

 

SUBSTITUTE SYSTEM:  The Substitute System’s phone number:  345-0064.  The old phone number, 241-6641, is no longer operational.  The on-line system remains the same.  If you have any questions please let me know.

 

SOCIAL COMMITTEE CONTRIBUTION:  Just a reminder–if you haven’t already given your social committee contribution, it’s not too late.  See Bettie Grinnell in the Main Office with your $20–checks or cash welcome!                  Social Committee

 

PARKING COURTESY:  Please do not block other cars in both the Bay Street and the Polk Street parking lots.  If you have to block a car, do it only for a few minutes and leave your Galileo Parking Hanger in plain sight in your car.  If you do not have a Galileo Parking Hanger, see Bettie Grinnell in the Main Office.                                       Mrs. Grinnell

STUDENTS

 

ASB STORE in Room 150  is selling healthy snacks, beverages, sweatshirts, new drawstring day packs, hand towels, lanyards, bookcovers, pens, pennants, mugs, and other spirit items during lunch time and after school. Money helps to pay for our school activities.

ASB STORE is selling ASB card stickers @ $5.00. Discounts are given for dances, sweatshirts, yearbook, and other spirit items.

ARE YOU STRESSED? Having a hard time adjusting back to school? Having issues in your friendships or relationships? Just need someone to talk to? Come to the Wellness Program in Room 151. It’s free, private and if you are looking for someone to listen we are here!

 

Are you interested in a PAID INTERNSHIP? Are you lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning or a straight ally? Are you 14-18 years old and have some free time after school? LYRIC is hiring interns who want to gain work experience, develop a project for youth, gain skills in facilitation, and work for social change. Come by the Wellness Center in Room 151 for information about info sessions and how to apply.

 

COLLEGE DRESS-UP DAY:is Friday, Nov. 8. Wear your favorite college sweatshirt, t-shirt, or gear.

ROCKETSHIP LAUNCH: Science club will sponsor the Galileo rocketship launch in the courtyard on Friday, Nov. 8 during lunch time at count down 12:30.

HARVEST FOOD FESTIVAL: is Friday, Nov. 15 in the courtyard during lunch time. Clubs must submit their food proposals at the Executive Student Council meeting on Monday in room 153 at 3:15 PM.

 

HOLIDAY DOOR DECORATING CONTEST: ASB and Futurama will be sponsoring the “Holiday Door Decorating Contest” on Thursday, December 5. Judging will be after school. Any clubs and classes can participate.

WINTER ASSEMBLY:is Friday, Dec. 6 during double period 4. Any clubs wishing to participate must submit their dance or singing proposals to the Executive Council meetings on Monday.

WINTER BALL at Hyatt Hotel Fisherman’s Wharf is Saturday night, Nov. 23 from 7 – 11 PM. Dress is semi-formal. Photography is by Prestige. Sound Innovations will play dj music for dancing, and karaoke for singing in the adjacent room. Free ice cream dessert with chocolate fountain fondue. You get a free neon necklace at the door. Election and winners of the Winter Ball court will be announced. Doors closed at 8:30 PM. Tickets are sold at ASB store (room 150). Guest tickets and forms are sold at Dean’s Office.

 

YEARBOOKS: Missed the previous yearbook sale?  Don’t worry!  Students, parents and teachers can receive an extra 10% off their yearbook purchase if they purchase it online at Treering.com before the end of October.  You can also buy your yearbook at Back to School Night from 4:30 pm to 8:00 in the computer lab room 260, just bring a check or credit card.  In addition there will be a yearbook table outside the auditorium with information and examples of the new yearbook.                                     Yearbook Staff

 

 

1 2