Leadership Team/Department Heads Meeting Minutes – August 30, 2012

GALILEO ACADEMY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY

Leadership Team/Department Heads Meeting

 

8/30/12

 

 

Marcus called the meeting to order at 10:15am.

 

Leadership Team

 

I.          Updates

Schedules

–Lauren explained the reasons for the many schedule changes.  85% is done as of this morning.  It will all be done by the end of today.  Schedules will be distributed to the first period teacher.  Students will begin their new schedules first period tomorrow.  Teachers need to pick up their mail to distribute these schedules.  ELD and Math have the most changes.

–Lauren said some students may not want the changes.  There will be no students allowed in the Counseling Office unless they are registering or have an appointment slip.  Any changes will be made if they can be accommodated.  Most requests will be “no.”

–Michelle asked if teachers would get a new class list.  Lauren said it will be on School Loop by 8am.  New class lists will come in a few days.

–Lauren will put out a notice about class lists on School Loop and the fact that it is the most accurate place for information.

–Kathleen said it is a good idea to make these many changes all at once.

–English had the most changes and Lisa said the English teachers were very accommodating to the changes.

–Doug blamed the poor district assessments on the necessity for all the changes for the students.

–Lauren thanked everyone for adhering to the Tuesday deadline.

 

            Night School

–Lauren has teachers for English, Science and Math and still needs a Social Studies Teacher.  English—Peters and Kyle, Science—Rivera, Math—Liang.  Registration will begin September 10th and classes will begin on September 17th.  Lauren said each class will meet 2 times a week. Funding is coming from the district. The district has to offer credit recovery.

 

            Cyber High

–This will be paid for by the district.  Lauren needs someone to organize this.  Allison Wagner did it last year. Lauren will send out an email.  No teachers for this program, only a coordinator.

–Students are allowed to do the course work at home, but must take the tests and quizzes at school.

–All students are able to take courses, but preference is given to seniors.

 

II.         Due Date for Fall Semester Grades

–Michelle spoke for David.  She mentioned the online calendar notes grades are due at the end of the semester.  She mentioned last year that we had 3 days into the Spring semester to turn in grades.

–Michelle mentioned that teachers would give finals early if the grades are due at the end of the semester.  The last week would find many students in the halls, etc.

 

–Marcus said that district-wide grades do not go out on a particular level until all schools have turned them in.  Galileo and Lowell were the only high schools last year that did not turn in grades prior to the end of the semester.

–Michelle asked about the final exam schedule.  Bettie said we would have half days for Fall finals.  The schedule has been sent to the district to reflect this.

–The Friday of finals week will be the date for the Winter Assembly.

–Marcus suggested we table this item and discuss it next meeting.

–Grades will be due on Thursday so Connie can process the grades.

 

III.       Assembly Bell Schedule

–Doug talked about the schedule, with 45-minute classes for 1-4 and then periods 5 and 6 are 55 minutes.

–Discussion followed as to how to alter the schedule.

–Suggestion was made to have 60 minutes for lunch.  Katie said this is a safety issue, as the kids can get involved in activities off campus.

–Katie asked Doug to put together several alternative schedules.

 

IV.        Back to School Night

–October 11th.  Marcus distributed minutes from last year as to how everyone felt.  He also wants to discuss attendance.

–Stan asked if the other schools were having their open houses on October 11th, and Marcus said that we are not in alignment with the rest of the district.

–Last year parents and students visited classes and other activities were going on.

–Some teachers gave their students extra credit for attendance.

–Parents will get the report cards at the end of the event.  That might help clear out the classrooms at the end of the event.

–Teachers do not discuss grades at this event.

–Doug mentioned the fact that some parents do not follow the schedule.

–Lisa suggested some guidelines for the teachers.  This is not for individual student conferences.

–Jessica asked about clubs and activities.  In a prior year they were in the cafeteria and no one came.  Her staff stayed for long hours.  She discussed the chaos for them in the cafeteria during the 9th grade orientation.  The main hallway or courtyard could be an alternative place.

 

–All teachers are required to come to Back to School Night.  Some teachers have very valid reasons for not coming.  How do we cover their classes?  Ray said he has 3 teachers who attend evening classes and cannot come.

–Marcus suggested coverage can be arranged within the department.  Lisa said those teachers who will be absent should submit a sub plan.  Marcus suggested a video    or a power point.

–Lisa suggested waiting to see who could not come and deal with it on an individual basis.  Department Heads would coordinate who would cover each period.

 

Department Head Agenda

 

I.          Centralized Book Accountability System

–Marcus said that the district has told us that we request more books than any other school in the district.  We need to have a better accountability system so we know what students and teachers do with their books.

–Doug felt we need an accountability system here.  He said that we also need to know the attrition rate for wear and tear, lost books, etc.  Marcus said the district will put something together to show what we ask for.

–Michelle asked if we could use the money collected for lost books to buy new books.  Katie said we could but it is not that much money.  Now the money goes into the ASB account so we can pull funds from there for new books.

–Katie said we need to make teachers and students aware of the fact that we need to pay attention to the books and keep track of them.

–Kathleen does a book round up at the end of the year and gives prizes for students who bring in extra books.

–Stan says students who leave are responsible for many lost books.  He does not sign a card if the student does not return the book, but the student leaves anyway.

–Lauren said Freshmen were not given textbooks yet.

–Doug said the Math Dept. make the changes internally in their department.

–Marcus asked if we could hold the cum folder for a transfer student who does not turn in or pay for books.

–Katie suggested letting Connie and Judie know that students do not get a transfer if the card is not totally signed.

–Marcus asked for all members to bring their department procedure for dealing with textbooks and losses to the next meeting.  We will work on setting up a standardized procedure.

–Ray asked for the funding sources for his paras.  He felt we lost 12 allocated hours.  We have more students now.

 

II.         3-Day Lesson Plans & Syllabus Submission

–Some of his teachers are complaining that they do this every year.

–Lisa said she will think about it.  But, she also mentioned that teachers teach different classes each year.

–Doug said they would do it department wide.

–Discussion followed.

–Lisa said she could store the information and have the teachers review the plans and syllabus for next year.

–Stan said all syllabi are posted on School Loop.  Email or give a hard copy to Lisa.  Goggle Docs will work well.

 

III.       Miscellaneous

–Class count—we are below where we need to be.  Wednesday, September 5th will be the district count.  Please emphasize with your teachers not to let students out of class.

–We are budgeted on 2072, and our last count was 1955.  Ray said with Spec. Ed. they have to go by SIS for the count.  Katie said they do “hot body” counts and we need all students in class.  The district will come and physically look at us.  The count will probably be 3°, and there could be more than one visit to each classroom.

 

–CELDT testing is going well.  Kathleen and her teachers are doing a lot of it.  In the coming week there will be 3 workers who will do the speaking portion of the test.

Students will be pulled in groups of 6 for a longer period of time.  We hope this will be less disruptive.

–September 20 and 21 will be the tests in class—ELD and English classes.

–Lisa said all 400+ students need to be interviewed for 15 minutes.

 

–Michelle talked about the Bathroom Passes.  When will we get them?  Katie said use the small white ones now, but the larger laminated passes are coming.

–Ray writes his own pass.  Doug says he uses a piece of math equipment that is large.

–Katie said the teachers and students should know that the student has to ask permission to leave the classroom and receives something to take with them.

–Lisa suggested not leaving the passes, etc., right by the door.

 

–Michelle mentioned the PD calendar.  She said it is confusing for CPT when an email comes the evening before the activity.  Michelle asked for more than 24 hours notice.

–Lisa will post the activities on the Staff Calendar.

 

–Marcus is getting very concerned about money.  We hoped for $120,000 and that is now down to $80,000.  We use lots of paper and Xerox machines.

–Marcus said we will monitor how much paper we use in the next 4 weeks.

–Doug suggested Donors Choose, asking for paper.  He thought every teacher should do this.

–Katie said there are no more extended hours, no more funds for field trips, no more mass mailings to parents (she will use School Loop).  Discussion of cuts followed. Mention was made of the cost of our Galileo Web and the possibility of using School Loop which is free but not as nice as our website.

 

Meeting adjourned at 11:30am.

Weekly Bulletin – August 27 – 31, 2012

GALILEO ACADEMY
Weekly Bulletin
AUGUST 27-31,2012

CONNOTATION

FACULTY/STAFF

WORD OF THE WEEK:    All Teachers please put this word on your blackboard or other prominent place. CONNOTATION: Something suggested by a word or thing; implication.

ANNOUNCEMENT FORMS: We are now using Google Forms to collect announcement requests. The form is linked from the Teachers page at galileoweb.org. Check it out.

**BULLETIN NOTICES:**EMAIL ADDRESS FOR BULLETIN NOTICES:  Please email bulletin notices to: grinnellb@galileoweb.org. The deadline for submitting items for the bulletin is Friday morning by 8:30am.                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Mrs. Grinnell

SUBSTITUTE SYSTEM:  The Substitute System’s phone number:  345-0064.  The old phone number, 241-6641, is no longer operational.  The on-line system remains the same.  If you have any questions please let me know.

SOCIAL COMMITTEE CONTRIBUTION:  Just a reminder–if you haven’t already given your social committee contribution, it’s not too late.  See Bettie Grinnell in the Main Office with your $20–checks or cash welcome!                                                                                                                                                                                                     Social Committee

HOT COFFEE is available every morning for $.75 a cup and fresh baked COOKIES are available for $.25 each in room 212 or 214. Thank you for helping support the special education programs.                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Ms. Wlodaver and Ms. McDonagh

PARKING COURTESY:  Please do not block other cars in both the Bay Street and the Polk Street parking lots.  If you have to block a car, do it only for a few minutes and leave your Galileo Parking Hanger in plain sight in your car.  If you do not have a Galileo Parking Hanger, see Bettie Grinnell in the Main Office.                          Mrs. Grinnell

THE WELLNESS CENTER is now accepting applications for the Youth Outreach Worker (YOW) Program. Students become leaders in promoting health and wellness while building their resumes and getting paid! Send interested students down to Room 151 for more information.

STUDENTS

ASB STORE in Room 150 is selling healthy snacks, beverages, sweatshirts, lanyards, bookcovers, pens, pennants, mugs, and other spirit items during lunch time and after school. Money helps to pay for our school activities.

ASB STOREis selling ASB card stickers @ $5.00. Discounts are given for dances, sweatshirts, yearbook, and other spirit items.

ALOHA DANCEis Friday, September 7 in the cafeteria from 7 – 11 PM. Music is by DJ Wes from Wild 94.9. First 300 students will get a free Hawaiian lei. Digital photography by Prestige. Must show ID with picture. Doors will close at 8:30 PM. Tickets are sold at ASB store @ $5 with current ASB card sticker and $10 w/o.

CLUB DAY is Friday, Aug. 31 during lunch time in the courtyard.

WELCOME ASSEMBLY is Friday, Aug. 31 in the auditorium during a double period 4.

WELLNESS YOUTH OUTREACH WORKER:Are you interested in being a Wellness Youth Outreach Worker? You can learn new skills, be a leader in promoting student health and wellness, build your resume, and even get paid. Applications are now available in the Wellness Center, Room 151. Stop by this week for more information, ask for Casey.

COLLEGE PRESENTATIONS: ALL grades welcome to attend. Teachers, please encourage your students to learn more about their college options:
During each presentation, a college admission officer or representative will be there to talk about their college and provide you with inside information about the school.

LOCATION: Room 358, after-school.

Thu, Sept. 6, 2 PM: Marlboro College (Vermont)
Thu, Sept. 13, 2 PM: University of Oregon
Mon, Sept. 17, 3 PM: Mills College (CA) (all-girls)
Thu, Sept. 20, 2 PM: Mt. Holyoke (MA) (all-girls)
Mon, Oct. 1, 3 PM: Massachusetts College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences
Thu, Oct. 11, 2 PM: University of Nevada, Las Vegas

For a more updated list, please talk to Bai Zhen in the counseling office, room 258F.
Additional colleges that might come are: USC, USF, SFSU, UCLA, Williams College, UC Berkeley, Cal Poly, Stanford, and many more! Stay tuned!

Department Head Meeting Minutes – August 23, 2012

GALILEO ACADEMY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY

Department Heads Meeting

 

8/23/12

 

 

Marcus called the meeting to order at 11:45am.

 

I.          Check-ins

–Each department talked about their numbers in each section.  Lauren mentioned possible solutions to balance the class sizes.

–Discussion held about distribution of prep periods for teachers.  Many teachers no longer have first period prep.

–Lauren talked about the highest class sizes in each department.  Marcus asked if any periods have low student counts.

–Lauren said there will be a number of class changes and mid-week next week would be a good time to check with Lauren.

 

–Mat asked for a remedial step to take with students who are high or under the influence.  Marcus said we only go to the police for a first offense if they are selling.  Otherwise they are sent to the Deans’ Office and sent home.

 

–Ray gave a good report from special ed.  Classes are leveled.

–Ray asked members to tell teachers not to send kids out of class if they are not on the list, as they wander the halls and get in trouble.

–Ray talked about team teaching. Get teacher buy-in. Some teacher(s) are not on board with team teaching. Michelle suggested planning year for two teachers to work together before launching on mapping curriculum.

–Ray talked about caseload size being 2 over 28 for RSP. But moving 2 to SDC to lessen the caseload.

–Ray encouraged teachers to come and see him with questions

–Ray overall having a good opening

 

–Joseph: classes are slightly bigger, but hard to tell because student leveling is happening

–Joseph said the band is low; 7:30am meeting will be held tomorrow with Marcus, Joseph and Bob Novota.

 

–David reported lots of movement, now starting to balance out.  He mentioned class cap confusion, so he will talk to Lauren about it.

–Clarification that students not have 2 science classes was discussed.

–Credit recovery is based on space in individual classes—Marcus

 

II.         ELD changes

–Night School, seniors have priority

–David is a teacher whose been using out of compliance textbook, 130 shy of using adopted textbook. Asked if we should do a Lau law complaint? Marcus will put it on agenda; need to come up with book inventory system school wide; on agenda for next meeting

–Marcus said if you’re short books, dept. heads should email him so he can ask other schools.

 

–Michelle has no major complaints other than copiers.

–Michelle used CPT time to meet with new teachers yesterday; everyone is bringing class lists to talk about #s today after school during CPT time.

–Michelle mentioned reservations about how teachers will be inputting school loop per principal expectations.

 

–Kathleen had CPT 2-4:30 meeting yesterday. Teachers are confused of Lau plan and rules. Mixups with ELD. Will impact all classes (the changes).

–Kathleen said ELD classification list by teacher, will be handed out to teachers at next faculty meeting. Can get the list off of data director in “reports”, Jen Fong as author.

–Kathleen will write “cheat sheet” of all codes and distribute.

 

–Doug mentioned a teacher concerned with how to teach ELD 5 kids. Doug will go over how to tell if they are ELD. Lisa will go over the specifics at this meeting.

–Doug said that all freshmen have been tested. Graded, scored, entered data at CPT time yesterday. Will align it today at CPT time, students will be told on Friday of new placements.

–Doug feels there are too many freshmen classes; consolidate into a higher level to balance.

 

–Marcus said the 3 day count (check in) hot bodies 1906 + 200 absences (over average #), 30 of the absences are “no shows” and will be dropped.

–Katie said numbers are good and we will make the 2074 we were budgeted for.

–Katie asked all dept. heads tell teachers to keep all kids in their room 3rd period.

–Katie asked dept. heads to have teachers prep #s grade levels and absences, which is helpful.

 

III.       Room 206

–Lisa said lots of students come in. Asked to remind depts. of “no students” policy. No students on copy machines.  She mentioned the unlocked mailroom, which needs to be locked.

–Joe suggested signage for faculty and students

 

IV.        ELD Placement.

— Lisa is helping make sure that ELD students are placed correctly.  We will be out of compliance for placement of students incorrectly. Kids need to be moved out of courses into non-ELD courses.  She explained .8 classes are for ELD 1-5 (CELDT level 3 or lower). .6 non-English classes are for non-low level ELD and classes may have LTEL CELDT scores of 1.

–Kathleen – general ed and .6 are lumped together.

–Lisa “party line” to relay to department: kids will be upset not being in a .8 class, and being in .6, remind them that it will be a tough situation that will be a learning one to improve their English. Exposure helps their language acquisition.

 

V.         Copy machines:

–Call Katie or Linda to locate Thong or Bounmy for fixes. Thong will status check machines in am and pm. Supplies not ordered will be ordered. Linda’s TAs will keep paper available. No staff to have a person dedicated nor someone dedicated during specific times.

–Emphasize: have a “jam” session where a teacher can teach during dept. mtgs on how to clear a jam; no kids copying; feedback requested.

–Lisa: said if there’s a jam in 206 that teachers notice, tell Lisa and she’ll tell Katie.

 

 

Meeting adjourned at 12:35pm.

 

 

Department Heads Meeting Minutes – August 14, 2012

GALILEO ACADEMY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY

Department Heads Meeting

 

8/14/12

 

 

Marcus called the meeting to order at 12:15pm.

 

I.          Walk Throughs

–Marcus spoke about the history of the Walk Through tool and how it went last year.  He mentioned that the rating portion caused some discussion last year.

–David suggested Marcus email the teachers after a Walk Through and ask the teachers to come in for a conversation.

–Marcus said he will make it clear to the staff that he enjoys the conversations and will send the staff an email if he feels there should be a conversation.

 

–Lisa asked for the process of Informal Walk Throughs, as she will be doing much of this on an informal basis.

–Michelle said that it has pretty much been that visits are welcome and there is an open door policy.  She mentioned administrators who dropped a note to the teachers after a visit.

–Marcus said it is a criterion for evaluation for administrators, so this year Marcus will have to show more documentation that the administrators are doing walk throughs.  Marcus will keep a copy of the document for his records.

–Joseph said he would not want this to be part of a formal evaluation and would not want this to get into his personnel files.  He said he welcomes anyone to come to his classroom to observe.  This also helps with student management.

–Joseph also said that his department members have done walk throughs in his department.

–Doug said that his department does this and does cover classes for each other so they can observe in other departments.

–The administrators were asked if they could help cover classes.

 

II.         CLAs and Common Formative Assessments

–Testing window for CLAs is October 9 – 19th.  This is on the Staff Calendar.  All departments are giving some sort of assessments during this time.

–David mentioned that they have created a CLA for the Fall and for the Spring.  He also said that this was written for the end of the semester.  English and Math for 9th and 10th graders will happen in the October time period.

–Doug asked about the hand written portion of the test. Lisa said she and Marcus would do some training to help teachers use the data.

–Joseph asked if the Common Formative Assessment has to be a scantron test.  Marcus said Joseph would have to do it by hand.  Joseph talked about his project based assignments.  Lisa suggested looking at particular sections of the rubric.

–Joseph would like to see Common Formative Assessments from other departments.  This would help in planning their test.

–David felt the goal of this is to see what we need to do better on.  We want to have the best use of our time.  Marcus said that some departments have activities in common while others do not.

–Joseph suggested each department could pick their best assessment and share it with others.

–Mat asked if there would be another window for the non-Math/English assessments.

–Mat said his department did not want to do the assessment at the end of the semester, as there would not be time for changes.  Marcus will send out an email and everyone will have input for the timing.

 

III.       School Loop Training

–Training on Thursday will include an intro class from 1:30pm-2:30pm.  The advanced training will be from 2:30pm on.

–Lisa has answers to some of the questions.

–By 3:30pm, everyone must have the syllabus up, send an email, post an assignment, upload a document (hopefully your syllabus), and your grading scale.

–Anyone who already knows how to do all of these activities does not have to go to the training, but all of these items must be posted by 3:30pm.  Two trainers will be here—one of them is the mother of one of our students.

–Joseph said he tried to post an assignment last night, but with no students listed it was not possible to post an assignment.

–Joseph brought up the issue of “intellectual property.”  He would like to hear from the union about this.  He feels that if he creates something on his home computer, he owns it.  Does it have to be copy writed?  There is not enough time to do all of this by 3:30pm tomorrow.

–Lisa said it does not need to be the actual syllabus, but should know how to do the activity.

–Kathleen feels the same as Joseph about the issue of “intellectual property.”

–Marcus said that documents do not have to be attached—just the basic assignment.  The title of the assignment would be fine.

–Joseph said he felt this syllabus is his “intellectual property,” and he would like clarification from the union.

–Lisa mentioned that any work that you do on work time then becomes the property of the school/company, etc.

–Marcus said he is not sure there is anything in the contract about this issue.

–Joseph felt that each individual has a right to their “intellectual property.”

–Lisa said the solution is to upload something resembling the document.  The syllabus is the document she would like uploaded.

–Discussion followed to change the language.

–Doug mentioned that the Math Department would not be at school on Thursday, so Lisa will help on Friday

 

IV.        CST and Goal Setting

–You can look at your results, but we cannot share it until August 31st.

–Marcus asked everyone to join a prediction activity—for the  CSTs write a prediction of what the CST will be for last year in each department. Marcus collected the predictions from each member.

–It was mentioned that the UCs might use CST results for English class placement.

–Marcus mentioned reading Schmoker last year and this will be an activity this year.

 

V.         Miscellaneous

 

–Mat mentioned that 6th period on Wednesday and Thursday next week would be 35 minutes, while all others are 50 minutes.

 

–Michelle asked about department budgets—do we have any money?  Supplies will come out of a general area.  Katie said it was voted on last year that departments would relinquish their supplies to save a position.  Katie suggested Donor’s Choice as an alternative to get supplies, etc.

 

 

Meeting adjourned at 12:55pm

 

 

 

Department Heads Meeting – May 31, 2012

GALILEO ACADEMY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY

Department Heads Meeting

 

5/31/12

 

 

Marcus called the meeting to order at 11:10am.

 

Marcus welcomed the new members, Lisa Warnke and Douglas Page.  Then everyone introduced themselves.

 

 

Department Heads

 

I.          Department Head Return Dates

–At the last meeting this was under discussion.  The return date will be August 13th.  The mornings will be for everyone to work on their own and then there will be meetings in the afternoon.

–Department Heads will work 2 days prior to school and 3 days after school.

–It has not been determined yet if there will be department heads in the fall.  No one has received letters yet.

 

–Joseph mentioned a Grievance Meeting next Wednesday at 3pm, 555 Franklin Street, Room 306.  Joseph and Michelle are mentioned by name in a letter he read to Susan Solomon concerning all department heads.             Joseph encouraged everyone to attend.

 

II.         Calendar

–Katie mentioned that she and Tony will be working on the Galileo calendar for next year.  She asked members to give them any dates they wanted on the calendar.

–Freshmen Orientation will be the Friday before classes begin.  PE uniforms will be sold at that time.

–Doug Page asked for the end of the marking periods.

–Joseph wants the Winter and Spring concerts on the calendar.

–Date for Back to School Night should be on the calendar.

–September 20 or 27 will be the ELD Picnic/Team Building Activity.

–Human Rights Exhibit should be between STAR and AP testing.

–Kathleen asked for the CELTD testing dates.

–Joseph mentioned the concept of unbalanced semesters.  In the spring semester, there is STAR testing, 4 Furlough Days and a week of finals, which he felt made this semester so rushed.  Kathleen said the first semester seemed really rushed.  Joseph felt we should eliminate the Final Exam week.  He also thought we should have 3 block days for finals, and have teachers give 1-hour finals only.

 

–David said some teachers want that time to do their grades, clean their rooms, etc.

–Marcus said we want to get students ready to go to college and the finals are part of that.

–Kathleen said we should have a policy about finals as many do not give them.  She asked if this is a sight-based decision.

–The Furlough Days are not listed on the Instructional Calendar.  The district says it is 4 for next year.  If the state tax initiative does not pass, the amount of furlough days will be 9.

 

–Michelle asked about CPT for next year.  Marcus said we need to do the PD plan first.  We will go with the 2 days—Wednesday and Thursday.  She asked for the Cluster Time.  Doug also asked for more CPT for the clusters.

–Marcus said with the Cluster Time there must be agendas with a focus and a goal.  We need to be efficient with the time.

–Doug said that most teachers teach more than one subject so they are involved in 2 clusters.

–David had a suggestion on how to target both the admin requirements and the cluster activity and meet administrative requirements.

–Ray said he prefers the meetings to be longer than 1 hour.  The old 2 hour meetings were much more productive,

 

III.       Final Survey Results

–Joseph passed out the final survey results.

–Most preferred the 5-minute passing period.

–Most people preferred 2 homerooms per week.

–Most people wanted to keep 15 minutes of SSR.

 

–The survey also included the teacher comments.

 

–David mentioned that the teachers who travel do have a challenge to get to the next classroom.

 

–Marcus said the student survey results were not clear.  54% preferred the 5-minute period.  We will look at the student survey and make the final decision.

–Marcus asked about the SSR.  David said school literacy is a huge issue.  Research shows that it is very effective in literacy.  Literacy affects all disciplines.

–Denise said students like structure.  It happens every block day for each period.  Ethan said he requires books in PE.

 

–Ray said every classroom should have an SSR library.

–Lisa suggested having SSR during homeroom. She suggested making homeroom longer.

–G-House TV will continue next year.

–Ray said we use homeroom for class level assemblies as well.

–Michelle said that Homeroom is not supposed to be an additional class for the teacher.  Joseph said this is also a union issue, so homeroom is not a class.

–Kathleen said homeroom is a chance to talk to the kids and homeroom stays together 4 years.  It is a bonding issue.

 

–Kelli made a comment about the attendance strips and homeroom, which Joseph read to the group.

–Kathleen mentioned the citizenship policy and Katie said that there are teachers who do not enforce this policy.

–Doug talked about private schools, where the teacher just marks the attendance strips and does the grades.  The absences are calculated by the school and then citizenship grades are assigned accordingly.

–Denise talked about what the Deans’ Office puts out about citizenship.  She followed it and it worked.

–David said he thought many teachers might forget about doing the citizenship.

–New teachers may not know about the citizenship policy.

–Marcus thanked Joe and Stan for doing the survey.

 

IV.        Miscellaneous

–Denise asked about old editions of books in boxes.  Katie said the warehouse will come and collect, but they need a list.  Put the books outside where you keep the books.  Please email Katie if you have books to get rid of and where they will be.

–Consumables can be recycled.

 

–Kathleen has lots of SSR books and magazines.  Katie asked her to send that out in an email in the fall.

 

–Ethan asked if our entire faculty will be in place at the start of school.  He also asked about the budget.

 

–Ray said his department has their books on rollers.  Please do not take these books or carts.  The carts are labeled.

 

–Marcus said we will use the entire 2nd floor for summer school, and the 3rd floor in the Van Ness Building.  Some classrooms are a mess right now and have to be cleaned prior to summer school.

 

–Promethean Boards—Marcus encouraged the group to make the best use of them.  If some teachers are not using them, give them to others in your department.  Kathleen said we need training.

 

–Mat asked about tomorrow.  Marcus asked the members to stop in and see him tomorrow.  He will be here until 3pm tomorrow.

 

Meeting adjourned at 11:55pm.

 

5/9/2012 Meeting Minutes

SAN FRANCISCO UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT

Galileo Academy of Science and Technology

1150 Francisco Street, San Francisco, CA  94109

Room 210 at 3:30 P.M.

Location and Time of Meeting

 

School Site Council Meeting-May 9, 2012

X  Agenda Attached

X  Attendance/sign-in attached

Present:  Stan DeBella, Doug Page, Jonathan Ring, Woodraw Smith, Patrick Delaney, Claire Siegel, Mele Lau-Smith, Jacky Chau, Karin Lau, Tony Payne, Katie Pringle, Gayline Tom

Absent (Excused): Marcus Blacksher, Nicole Torres, Clarissa Lee, Anna Mai

X  Minutes of the previous meeting approved

 

Decision Made/Issues Reviewed

I.  Call to Order

– M Lau-Smith called the meeting to order at 3:47 pm.  There were eight elected members present; a quorum was established.

 

II.  Approval of 4/11/2012 Meeting Minutes

– S. DeBella moved to approve the 4/11/2012 meeting minutes as presented.  D. Page seconded and the motion was carried unanimously.

 

III.  Old Business

1.  Balanced Score Card Updates

– M. Blacksher was absent.  The item would be postponed to a future meeting.

 

IV.  New Business

1.  Priorities for SY 2012/2013 Preliminary Budget

– There would be minimal changes to the preliminary budget; the staffing FTEs and allocation would remain the same, but the number of sections might shift.  The influx of continuous enrollment and student requests dictated how the master schedule is set up and that also determined the number of sections needed.  This fluctuation would cause the previously allocated sections to be different.

– During the preliminary budgeting process, money had been set aside to pay for the department head and AP prep periods.  The contract talk might change that.  At the same time, the school might get more money in the fall.  With all these uncertainties, the site council needed to establish what their priorities were once the Fall Final budget became available.

– Since it was difficult to make specific suggestions given the lack of information, it was felt that the SSC should provide guidance to the administration on the priorities for the SY 12-13 Preliminary budget.  It was agreed that the guidelines should follow the priorities that were developed through the development of the SPPA/Balanced Scorecard.

 

D. Page moved that when additional fund became available, it would be allocated based on the priorities set forth in the Balanced Scored Card, which were to maintaining small class sizes and increasing teaching positions.  If the admin chose to go outside of these priorities, they would inform the school site council in a timely manner.  C. Siegel seconded and the motion was carried unanimously.

 

 

S. Debella moved to adjourn the meeting.  W. Smith seconded and the meeting was adjourned at 4:25 pm.

 

Minutes taken and prepared by Karin Lau

Weekly Bulletin – May 21 – 25, 2012

GALILEO ACADEMY
Weekly Bulletin
MAY 21 – 25,2012

COMMENCEMENT

FACULTY/STAFF

WORD OF THE WEEK:    COMMENCEMENT: All Teachers please put this word on your blackboard or other prominent place. COMMENCEMENT: The ceremonies or the day for conferring degrees or diplomas.

ANNOUNCEMENT FORMS: We are now using Google Forms to collect announcement requests. The form is linked from the Teachers page at galileoweb.org. Check it out.

**BULLETIN NOTICES:**EMAIL ADDRESS FOR BULLETIN NOTICES:  Please email bulletin notices to: grinnellb@galileoweb.org. The deadline for submitting items for the bulletin is Friday morning by 8:30am.                         Mrs. Grinnell

SUBSTITUTE SYSTEM:  The Substitute System’s phone number:  345-0064.  The old phone number, 241-6641, is no longer operational.  The on-line system remains the same.  If you have any questions please let me know.

ATTENDANCE: Teachers– Please check your Galileo e-mail for Attendance Notices. Most importantly, Notice of Missing Attendance will be sent to all teachers via e-mail who have failed to turn in attendance strips by 4:00 pm the previous day. Please turn in the attendance strip or reply with the names of absent students so that your non-recorded attendance can be cleared. Thank You.                                     Ms. Mallen.

SOCIAL COMMITTEE CONTRIBUTION:  Just a reminder–if you haven’t already given your social committee contribution, it’s not too late.  See Bettie Grinnell in the Main Office with your $20–checks or cash welcome!                  Social Committee

HOT COFFEE is available every morning for $.75 a cup and fresh baked COOKIES are available for $.25 each in room 212 or 214. Thank you for helping support the special education programs.                     Ms. Wlodaver and Ms. McDonagh

PARKING COURTESY:  Please do not block other cars in both the Bay Street and the Polk Street parking lots.  If you have to block a car, do it only for a few minutes and leave your Galileo Parking Hanger in plain sight in your car.  If you do not have a Galileo Parking Hanger, see Bettie Grinnell in the Main Office.
Mrs. Grinnell
GALILEO PTSA EDUCATION AND ENRICHMENT GRANT APPLICATIONS: The Galileo PTSA is accepting Grant Applications from teachers and staff in need of funding for projects, equipment and/or supplies. We urge staff to apply for these grants as last year we did not use all of our budgeted money. For further information please visit galileoweb.org/ptsa. Grant applications may be turned in to Karin Lau, room 206 or main office PTSA mailbox.

WELLNESS: Do you know students who are looking for a paid internship or program this summer ? The Galileo Wellness website has up-to-date information to connect your students with programs in the community. Visit galileoweb.org/wellness or direct students to the Wellness Center, Room 151!

NEW FINAL EXAM SCHEDULE–CHECK THE GALILEO WEBSITE AND YOUR EMAIL!  SCHOOL IS OUT EACH DAY AT 12:45pm 5/21-5/25.

STUDENTS

ASB STORE: is selling Galileo t-shirts, sweatshirts, lanyard key chains, pennants, lab books, pens, pencils, book covers, district approved nutritional snacks and beverages during lunch time and after school in room 150.

SENIORS: Come by Ms. Chan’s office to pick up your latest transcript during lunch or after school. Please also check my webpage galileoweb.org/chan and your school loop email for updates on important information pertaining to seniors.

CAL-GRANT: Seniors, you may still submit your Cal-Grant forms to Bai Zhen, in room 258F.  Please submit it as soon as possible.

WANT A JOB? Come visit the Job Bulletin Board in the Counseling Office. Also check Ms. Marshman’s website (http://galileoweb.org/marshmanl) and click on “Jobs” for recent postings.

JUNIORS: if you have not taken college and career, please see Ms. Ho during lunch or after school to sign up! You will need to complete this graduation requirement before the end of your junior year as the college and career course will no longer be offered next year to seniors. The course is offered every Tuesday and Friday after school for the month of April and will continue into May, if necessary.


AP CHEMISTRY: For students, who signed-up for AP chemistry, next year, please come to room 406 after school on Friday, June 4 to pickup your textbook and to get information on your summer assignment.               Mr. Matsumoto
SENIOR BREAKFAST: is Monday, May 21 in the cafeteria starting at 8:00 AM.

CAPS AND GOWNS: will be delivered on Monday, May 21 in the auditorium at 10:30 AM. Those seniors, who did not pre-order, can still purchase them. Cost is $38.

GRADUATION: Ceremony at Bill Graham’s Civic Auditorium will be on Wednesday, May 23 starting at 1:00 PM. The keynote speaker will be Mayor Ed Lee.

WELLNESS: Are you looking to participate in a paid internship or program this summer? The Galileo Wellness website has up-to-date information to connect you with programs in your community. Visit galileoweb.org/wellness or stop by the Wellness Center, Room 151!

Leadership Team/Department Heads Meeting – May 17, 2012

GALILEO ACADEMY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY

Leadership Team/Department Heads Meeting

 

5/17/12

 

 

Marcus called the meeting to order at 10:10am.

 

Leadership Team

 

I.          Balanced Score Card

–Marcus distributed information on the Balanced Score Card.  This is a living document.  He asked for feedback from the group.

–Marcus will get into the WASC report over the summer and see what else we need to address.

–We need to go into next school year knowing what we need to do.  The first two sections are over view and data review.

–Michelle mentioned the Core Curriculum the district is putting together.  She mentioned what the district is doing with the Standards Maps.  At this point we do not know what this is.  Tony referred to her page 8b.

–Tony said the district does not have clarity about what this will look like.

–David said they are not using the Common Core to design the Common Curriculum for English.

–Part A concerns readiness and challenges.  This is followed by Next Steps.

–Patrick mentioned the lack of funds for professional development.

–Patrick said they will be dropping the CLA’s next year.  He said this was mentioned in the WAD from last week.

 

–ELD Current Status—we list what we are doing now.  Some of this is ELD department and the rest is other departments.  Language Objectives are listed as well.  We are not doing the BBC school-wide so we still have to address having a language objective in each classroom.

–Vocabulary development is spelled out on page 9. Brick word and mortar words are the same.

–Section 3 of the Lau Plan will be studied next year.  Tony mentioned some training that will occur this summer with Q-tell.  Jen Fong will help with PD next year.

–Special Ed is the next section.

–Marti asked about statistics on AA and Latino students.  Ray addressed this and indicated what the numbers meant.  Ray said he would explain any of the “Next Steps.”

–Administrators must attend the IEPs and administrators must arrange coverage for teachers who need to attend the IEPs.

–Ray expressed the challenges of scheduling the IEPs.  He also said there is a box to excuse administrators and teachers on the IEP—full exclusion or partial, depending on which box is checked.

–Proportional Representation—Ray discussed this and said we have talked about this before.  For 30 students, 3 or 4 Special Ed students is the max.

__Michelle said this has come up before—she would like some PD on how to arrange this.  Ray said his department would be happy to do this.  Marcus said he would like to know from general ed teachers where we should start with PD.

–Ray said the teachers who are delivering resource services, they should be in the classroom, not in room 352.  It should be a 100% commitment.

–Some in the group said they do not feel comfortable asking the resource teachers why they can’t come to class when they say they can’t.

–Increased administrative monitoring of how Special Ed resources are allocated in classrooms.

–Resource also includes the paraprofessionals.  Ray said we have some of the best paras in the district.

–Marcus said that the Inclusion model has only been pushed for the last several years.  He mentioned our new AP, Lisa Warnke, and her experience in this area.  He is happy to have her on board.

 

–Section IV

–Michelle wants other departments listed besides English.  Marcus said this is a school-wide activity.  This has also been discussed in the SSC meetings.

–Marcus said we need to add more to Closing the Achievement Gap.  We are having an extremely hard time with our Latino students.  Some of the students in 9th grade are drinking, etc.  We have12% now Latino students in the 9th grade and this will double next year.

–Patrick mentioned conflicts of getting the dens together.

–Marcus mentioned that the English Department has a small number of teachers working with the 9th graders.  Marti said it is the same in the Math Department.

–David suggested that more teachers teach 9th grade so there are more teachers available for discussions and improvements.

–Michelle mentioned a former professional development on different cultures—Sharroky Hollie  and how helpful that was.

–Marcus said he became very expensive very fast.

–Tony referred everyone to page 16 and cultural responsive teaching.

–Explore dens and define dens.  Are they useful?

–Look for opportunities in the Master Schedule and CPT for 9th grade teachers to collaborate.

–Look for opportunities in extra-curricular after school activities.

–Patrick said Kristy Morrison and Doug Page said at the UBC meeting yesterday they would like to fund raise to save Futurama.

–Jessica talked about the SAP meetings.  This helps with the 9th grade transition students.

–Ray requested .7 Adv.  Algebra and  .7 Chemistry on the schedule (item deck).

 

–Accountability (page 17)—

School Climate—Jessica would like to add Wellness to this area.

–Ray talked about the Move-Up Assembly and why some of the students wanted to leave as all the scholarships went to Asian students.  Michelle said we should include events like sports teams, athletic teams, Talent Show winners, etc.  David Barrios said we should revisit how we plan this assembly, to recognize a broad range of achievement.

–Marcus mentioned increasing attendance in class.  He will take more of a hands-on approach to this next year.

–Patrick mentioned teachers helping with the hall sweeps next year.

–Jessica wanted to add the SST meetings to outcomes of Measurable Outcomes.

–The PTSA came up with increased communication, reflection tool for students and teachers on how students are feeling in class about the instruction and one more.  We do need to communicate more with the parents.

 

–Michelle wanted to mention a priority of small class sizes.  If we get more students can we hire more teachers?  Marcus said yes.

 

II.         Academic Honesty

–We will table this item until next year.

–Denise said she caught 2 students cheating yesterday.

–Marti told of students taking photos of AP exams with their cell phones.

 

III.       Homeroom Survey Results

–Joseph told of his experiences in doing this survey—his first.

–The passing period time (5 or 7 minutes) was not clear.

–Most preferred the weekly homerooms.

–SSR overwhelmingly retained—most wanted 15 minutes.

–69 people voted.

–CPT 2times a week.

–Joseph will revisit the survey to prepare the results.

–We need more staff to fill out the survey.

 

 

Department Head Meeting

 

I.          Contingency Plans for Fall

–Mat talked about all the details that department heads handle.

–Marcus said he can’t see the district eliminating the department heads.  The principals express this to the district.

–As of now Department Heads have the 4th period free.

–Michelle said there has to be a formal agreement for next fall to have the department heads report to school 2 days prior to the teachers arrival.

–Ethan said the district will put those duties on the responsibility of the administration.

–If the department head positions are not retained, the former DHs will have another class to teach.

 

II.         Department Head Duties 5/30 and 5/31 and 6/1.

–Marcus asked everyone to plan to return for these 2 days.

–Michelle would like to use the 2-3 days at their own discretion.

–Marcus would like to meet for an hour on 5/31 at 11:00am.

–David asked if there would be 2 full days of meetings.  We will do a 3-2—Friday and Monday meetings and Tuesday a free day.

–Patrick said 2 days of meetings would be difficult as it is hard to get things done.

–Suggestion was made to have meetings in the am and work allowed in the afternoon.

 

Meeting adjourned at 11:50am.

Weekly Bulletin – May 14 – 18, 2012

GALILEO ACADEMY
Weekly Bulletin

MAY 14 – 18 ,2012

SUBLIMINAL

 

FACULTY/STAFF

 

WORD OF THE WEEK:  SUBLIMINAL  : All Teachers please put this word on your blackboard or other prominent place. SUBLIMINAL: Perceived below the level of consciousness; of too low an intensity to produce a clear awareness.

ANNOUNCEMENT FORMS: We are now using Google Forms to collect announcement requests. The form is linked from the Teachers page at galileoweb.org. Check it out.

**BULLETIN NOTICES:**EMAIL ADDRESS FOR BULLETIN NOTICES: Please email bulletin notices to: grinnellb@galileoweb.org. The deadline for submitting items for the bulletin is Friday morning by 8:30am.                  Mrs. Grinnell

SUBSTITUTE SYSTEM:  The Substitute System’s phone number:  345-0064.  The old phone number, 241-6641, is no longer operational.  The on-line system remains the same.  If you have any questions please let me know.

ATTENDANCE: Teachers– Please check your Galileo e-mail for Attendance Notices. Most importantly, Notice of Missing Attendance will be sent to all teachers via e-mail who have failed to turn in attendance strips by 4:00 pm the previous day. Please turn in the attendance strip or reply with the names of absent students so that your non-recorded attendancecan be cleared. Thank You.                                     Ms. Mallen.

SOCIAL COMMITTEE CONTRIBUTION:  Just a reminder–if you haven’t already given your social committee contribution, it’s not too late.  See Bettie Grinnell in the Main Office with your $20–checks or cash welcome!            Social Committee

HOT COFFEE is available every morning for $.75 a cup and fresh baked COOKIES are available for $.25 each in room 212 or 214. Thank you for helping support the special education programs.                     Ms. Wlodaver and Ms. McDonagh

PARKING COURTESY:  Please do not block other cars in both the Bay Street and the Polk Street parking lots.  If you have to block a car, do it only for a few minutes and leave your Galileo Parking Hanger in plain sight in your car.  If you do not have a Galileo Parking Hanger, see Bettie Grinnell in the Main Office.                                        Mrs. Grinnell

GALILEO PTSA EDUCATION AND ENRICHMENT GRANT APPLICATIONS: The Galileo PTSA is accepting Grant Applications from teachers and staff in need of funding for projects, equipment and/or supplies. We urge staff to apply for these grants as last year we did not use all of our budgeted money. For further information please visit galileoweb.org/ptsa. Grant applications may be turned in to Karin Lau, room 206 or main office PTSA mailbox.
WELLNESS: Do you know students who are looking for a paid internship or program this summer ? The Galileo Wellness website has up-to-date information to connect your students with programs in the community. Visit galileoweb.org/wellness or direct students to the Wellness Center, Room 151!

 To: All teachers/staff and students.
Everyone is welcome to show up. If you are planning to come, please RSVP with me via email: zhenb@galileoweb.org

Event: Gates Millenium Scholarship and APIASF scholarship information session.

Date/Time: Thursday, May 17th after-school (from 2:10-3 pm) in room 255,

Details: Phong Luu from Asian and Pacific Islander American Scholarship Fund (APIASF) and the Gates Millennium Scholars Program (GMS), two national scholarship organizations that serve Asian American and Pacific Islander students will be sharing information about the eligibility requirements and best practices for counselors and teachers to help prepare students to complete a thorough scholarship application. According to him, students are 30% more likely to complete an application when they have educators assisting with the application process. With a focus in the STEM fields at Galileo, there are opportunities for some of these students to earn 10-year scholarships from the Gates Foundation! Students are welcome to show up to learn more about scholarship opportunities.

NEW FINAL EXAM SCHEDULE–CHECK THE GALILEO WEBSITE AND YOUR EMAIL!  SCHOOL IS OUT EACH DAY AT 12:45pm 5/21-5/25. 


 

STUDENTS


ASB STORE: is selling Galileo t-shirts, sweatshirts, lanyard key chains, pennants, lab books, pens, pencils, book covers, district approved nutritional snacks and beverages during lunch time and after school in room 150.
 
SENIORS: Come by Ms. Chan’s office to pick up your latest transcript during lunch or after school. Please also check my webpage galileoweb.org/chan and your school loop email for updates on important information pertaining to seniors.

CAL-GRANT: Seniors, you may still submit your Cal-Grant forms to Bai Zhen, in room 258F.  Please submit it as soon as possible.

WANT A JOB? Come visit the Job Bulletin Board in the Counseling Office. Also check Ms. Marshman’s website (http://galileoweb.org/marshmanl) and click on “Jobs” for recent postings.

JUNIORS: if you have not taken college and career, please see Ms. Ho during lunch or after school to sign up! You will need to complete this graduation requirement before the end of your junior year as the college and career course will no longer be offered next year to seniors. The course is offered every Tuesday and Friday after school for the month of April and will continue into May, if necessary.

AP CHEMISTRY: For students, who signed-up for AP chemistry, next year, please come to room 406 after school on Friday, June 4 to pickup your textbook and to get information on your summer assignment.               Mr. Matsumoto

LAST DANCE AND YEARBOOK SIGNING PARTY: is Friday, May 18 in the cafeteria from 7 – 11 PM. Tickets will be sold at ASB office starting May 9.

SENIOR BREAKFAST: is Monday, May 21 in the cafeteria starting at 8:00 AM.
CAPS AND GOWNS: will be delivered on Monday, May 21 in the auditorium at 10:30 AM. Those seniors, who did not pre-order, can still purchase them. Cost is $38.
GRADUATION: Ceremony at Bill Graham’s Civic Auditorium will be on Wednesday, May 23 starting at 1:00 PM. The keynote speaker will be Mayor Ed Lee.

WELLNESS: Are you looking to participate in a paid internship or program this summer? The Galileo Wellness website has up-to-date information to connect you with programs in your community. Visit galileoweb.org/wellness or stop by the Wellness Center, Room 151!


To: All teachers/staff and students.
Everyone is welcome to show up. If you are planning to come, please RSVP with me via email: zhenb@galileoweb.org

Event: Gates Millenium Scholarship and APIASF scholarship information session.

Date/Time: Thursday, May 17th after-school (from 2:10-3 pm) in room 255,

Details: Phong Luu from Asian and Pacific Islander American Scholarship Fund (APIASF) and the Gates Millennium Scholars Program (GMS), two national scholarship organizations that serve Asian American and Pacific Islander students will be sharing information about the eligibility requirements and best practices for counselors and teachers to help prepare students to complete a thorough scholarship application. According to him, students are 30% more likely to complete an application when they have educators assisting with the application process. With a focus in the STEM fields at Galileo, there are opportunities for some of these students to earn 10-year scholarships from the Gates Foundation! Students are welcome to show up to learn more about scholarship opportunities.


1 30 31 32 33 34 37