AB540 – Helpful Websites

Center for Community Change                                         http://www.communitychange.org/

Friends Committee on Legislation of California                           www.fclca.org

Legislation Information of California                                                http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/

Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund        www.maldef.org

NAFSA: Association of International Educators                           http://www.nafsa.org/

Salvadoran American Legal and Educational Fund                      www.salef.org

The California Immigrant Welfare Collaborative                         www.nilc.org/ciwc/

The Coalition for Human Immigrants Rights of Los Angeles   www.chirla.org

The National Council of La Raza                                                          www.nclr.org

The National Immigration Law Center                                             www.nilc.org

U.S. Department of Education                                                           www.ed.gov

Information about policies and programs to assist undocumented immigrants can be found at the following website:

Facts About Immigrants :

Further Demographic Information Relating to the DREAM Act: http://www.nilc.org/immlawpolicy/DREAM/DREAM_Demographics.pdf

La Agencia de Orci Launches New PSA Campaign for MALDEF: http://www.hispanicbusiness.com/news/newsbyid.asp?id=9586

Overview of Immigrant Eligibility for Federal Programs: http://www.nilc.org/immspbs/special/pb_issues_ovrvw_042005.pdf

Succeeding in College

Financing your education:

Affording school is not a matter of “making thousands of dollars, but of saving pennies”. As an undocumented student, you must be creative in order to finance your education since you are ineligible to apply for state and federal financial aid (i.e., FAFSA, BOG Fee Waiver, Pell Grant, Cal Grant). Remember, you can obtain a higher education with hard work, resourcefulness, and support!

Fundraising Tips:

Below is a list of various ways AB 540 students have raised money to fund their college education:

Work. If you have a work permit, that provides you the right to seek employment in the U.S.

Stipends. Undocumented students may be eligible for privately funded stipends.

Donations. Ask for donations from former teachers and/or current professors. Do not be afraid to ask! Many individuals are willing to support you in one way or another.

Fundraisers. Hold “house parties” to raise money from friends and family; Organize car washes, food sales, book sales, graduation sales (candy leis, teddy bears, etc.); or, attend comedy shows (a group gets paid for attending tapings of shows).

Scholarships. Undocumented students are eligible for many private scholarships. Use scholarship search engines like www.fastweb.com to look for scholarships.

Scholarship Tips: Scholarships are a great way to fund your education, especially if you do not qualify for state/federal financial aid. Below are some tips to help finance your education: There are organizations and individuals that provide scholarships to undocumented students; however, these are limited in number and becoming increasingly competitive. Students must contact individual scholarship providers for eligibility requirements, specific deadlines, and application process information. Make sure to obtain information from a representative since the information printed on the list may be outdated. Also, be sure to CHECK ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS. You do not want to spend hours putting a scholarship application packet together only to find out that you are ineligible or that the scholarship is no longer offered. You should also ask about how the scholarship is awarded. Is the money given to you in the form of a check? Is the money deposited directly with the college? Answers to these questions are important because they determine whether the money may be used for tuition only or for housing, food, books, or other cost you may incur as a student. Some scholarship providers may provide students with a check and others may send it directly to the school you will attend.