Welcome Back Juniors!
This is your 11th grade year and you have a lot to look forward to. A couple things to think about this year:
- Review your transcript/academic record and which classes you’re enrolled in this year – Make up any D’s or F’s because having these on your record will prohibit you from applying to college.
- Get involved in extracurricular activities: sports, clubs, organizations, student government, etc. *It’s the quality of extracurricular activities that matters to colleges, not the quantity. So pick activities that are meaningful and interesting to you.
- TESTS: Don’t miss out on taking them for FREE! Come to the College & Career Center (RM 258F) or the Advisor Hub (RM 209) for a fee waiver. Pick up study guides in the College and Career Center.
- Take the PSAT. If you score high you will be recognized by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation and may receive a scholarship. This will also prepare you for taking the SAT in your Junior and Senior years. Limited seats are available for juniors to take this test for free. Please talk to the College & Career Counselor or your academic counselor about it.
- The SAT either in March, May, June, or August
- The ACT in April, June, or July
- The SAT Subject Tests in May or June
- AP Tests are given in May every year
- Continue to research colleges that you may want to apply to. Go visit the campus, attend an information session, simply check out individual college website, show up at the Galileo College Fair, meet the college admission counselors who visit Galileo. For a copy of their visits, see the College & Career Center calendar: http://galileoweb.org/college/
If you have questions about which colleges you should be looking at or are not quite sure what you want your career to be, make an appointment with an advisor, college & career counselor, or your academic counselor to discuss your options and choices.
For a more detailed suggestion on what to prep for in the junior year or for a list of resources, check out:Resources for Juniors Fall 2017