Report on a Director
An alternate way to earn out-of-class hours is to prepare a presentation about an important film director. Mr. Machtay can loan DVDs and recommend directors. If you want to choose a director of your own, clear the choice with Mr. Machtay.
You will watch 3 movies by a famous film director. Then create a PowerPoint presentation with the following information:
- Information about the director’s life: born, died, education, other jobs, awards?
- What were influences on this director’s work? Who did he/she learn from? How did he/she become a director?
- What was this director famous for? What types of movies? What style or genre? What makes this director’s work identifiable?
- What did critics say about this director’s work (find writing by influential film critics)?
- How did this director’s work influence current movies
Research: did later filmmakers credit this director?
Higher-Level Thinking: Are there recent movies that reflect this director’s influence?
A = 6 hours
B = 4.5 hours
C = 3 hours
D = 1.5 hours