User Interface on a Website
USABILITY is important in website design and planning. How easy is it for visitors to use your website? How easy is it for them to find information? Good website design is USER FRIENDLY.
Your team needs to go to the galileoweb.org website, pretend you are visiting the website for the first time and do the following searches. For each search answer the questions: (1) How easy is it to find this information; and (2) List the clicks you have to go through to find the information. Make note if the information is not available on the website.
- Find the Principal’s name and email address.
- Find the name of the teacher who teaches Computer Art and that teacher’s email address.
- Find contact information for the PTSA (parents’ association).
- Find the date and time and theme of the next school dance.
- Find the name of the chair of the Special Ed Department and that person’s email address.
- Find contact information for the Galileo Alumni Association.
- Find out when the school gives tours for 8th grade parents.
- Are there student broadcasts on the website? Find them.
- Find the next upcoming sports game the school is playing.
- Find contact information for the school Wellness Center.
Your team will be assigned another San Francisco high school website. Visit that website and answer the same 10 questions.
Then assess your results. Which website is more USER FRIENDLY?
On Wednesday your team will create a VISUAL REPRESENTATION showing the entire structure of your assigned school’s website.
Mr. Machtay will talk about Visually Representing Information and will demonstrate some different ways to show web content and how the pages are linked. But it will be up to you to choose a way to visualize the information.