Galileo Folder Cover
Each student will design Folder Covers for Galileo. Hand in what you have at the end of block day this week. You can make one, two, or three. But you must fully use the 3-1/2 hours of class time.
This is the one time we are using INCHES NOT PIXELS, and using a different setting for pixels per inch.
Each file will be 11 inches height by 8.5 inches width, 150 pixels per inch, GRAYSCALE. The folder covers will be printed in one color. Your file must be only black and white.
DO NOT SAVE-FOR-WEB AS JPG. If you have Photoshop CS6 on your computer, and you use Save-for-Web, don’t do it this time. (When you use “save for web” Photoshop changes pixels per inch to 72. You must keep 150 pixels per inch so there is higher quality for printing.) When you’re done, use “Save As” and select JPG.
Place in folder called 2lastnamegalfolder.
Photos of Galileo can be found at pickupdropoff > machtayh > pickup > any of the green folders (galpics09, galpics10, galstudents, etc.). You can also take your own photographs of Galileo. If you submit at least 6 usable, interesting Galileo pictures (different from the ones already in the folders) you will receive .1 extra credit on this grade.
Three years ago there was a great Folder Cover design that combined a Galileo picture with a picture of a Lion. For the two years following, the ASB officers have selected images that had a Lion picture. We’re tired of Lions. No Lions.
- You can write “Galileo Academy of Science & Technology” or “Galileo Academy” or simply “Galileo.” Do NOT write “Galileo High School.”
- Make sure the name of the school is easy to read against the background.
- If you have multiple lines of text do NOT put them on one layer.
- Use ALIGNMENT — if you’re making a formal design with 4 small images stacked up, make sure the left and right margins of those images align.
- Remember HIERARCHY — In the full name of our school, “Galileo” is the most important word on your folder cover. The least important word is “of.”
- Be CREATIVE — make one simple, straightforward design. Then try something different and interesting for a second design.
- Show PHOTOSHOP SKILLS — Use Layer Masks, Cut-Outs, Filters, Layer Styles; show what you know in Photoshop.
- USE THE CLASS TIME YOU’RE GIVEN — you have 3-1/2 hours! You may make one folder cover that is very complicated and intricate and takes the full time. Or you may make a design that is very simple and takes 20 minutes. Use your time well and make as many designs as you can between now and the end of block day.
DUE BLOCK DAY THIS WEEK.